John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
This discussion reminds me of the intense argument between two professors as to whether the small plant they are looking at is a shrub or a tree.

Yes. And they both had most excellent scholary arguments to cement their position when I left them to go looking for some weed, or that being impassable (as the lock said to Alice) at least a pint of stout...

Have you ever met someone who is perfectly happy with drinking a cheap American beer, and could care less about that imported stuff?

Yes, it was in Arkansas, around the time the guys on talk radio where going "Have you heard of this freak Clinton? I heard he had sex with a human and she wasn't even a relative..."

What amazes me is WHY people want to pick and poke at the motivations of audiophiles, when most people have other interests.

Because it's easier to beat up little guys who have neither lobby nor enough money for really serious lawsuits, than to take Anhaeuser Bush or Coca Cola Corp for selling essentially water at 5000% profit?

Ciao T

This discussion reminds me of the intense argument between two professors as to whether the small plant they are looking at is a shrub or a tree.

What, more mathematicians? :)

Progress generally comes from wanting to do more and better.

Yep, or we'd all still be reading by candle light at night, right? It was good enough for Granddad. The Amish still use them and oil lamps.

If it is your hi fi, then progress might be trying a new circuit, phono cartridge, etc. Some have more money and more compulsions, so they might change their phono cartridge every month, for example. Others might be happy with their packaged player and prefer to spend their time and effort elsewhere. So what?

In my experience, that's the difference between people who listen to their systems and people who listen to their music.

Have you ever met someone who is perfectly happy with drinking a cheap American beer, and could care less about that imported stuff?

I live in the Deep South of the U.S.; I see it every day!

Do we admire them for their complacency?

For them it's not complacency. They've found what they like - problem solved.

What amazes me is WHY people want to pick and poke at the motivations of audiophiles, when most people have other interests.

It's mostly audiophiles who pick at audiophiles. "Normal people" just shake their heads in disbelief and walk away. :0))

Suffice it to say that "Necessity may be the mother of invention; but dissatisfaction is the father of progress" I guess "Let you reach exceed your grasp" also applies here.

Bubba, I was at a party about 45 years ago with some Hell's Angels present. They were drinking the wine (jug wine) happily and easily. I tried the wine, after just getting back from 3 months touring Europe, and could barely get it down. Go figure!
Snobbery, or just cultivation?

Last edited:
Hi,

Ah yes, always good fun to mention that to vinyl lovers (I mean the LPs - what were you thinking?!). :D

Nah, that's lame.

Tell them about the 16 Bit/48KHz digital delay build into most Neumann lathes as part of the automated variable cutting displacement...

And no, it did not delay the signal to THOSE electronics, but the cuttting signal...

BTW, I do happen to be a "Vinyl Lover" (well, actually, I love girls, as far as things with h...es go - but I often prefer 12" Black Disks to 5" Silver Disks...

As Ali G said:

"They was claimin that our love was wrong,(yeah)
The people just stared and said it was too long, (uh)
But it ain't a crime to have a 12inch
(a wut, dong, dong, dong, dong)."

Ciao T

“Just after the transistor was invented at Bell Labs, Sid-
ney checked out for the weekend two of the few existing
transistors from the head of Bell Labs. Transistors were
not generally available and the head of the Labs kept the
few that had been made in his desk. Sidney played with
them at home on the weekend and discovered/invented
the Darlington pair. He realized that they could be put
in one package (“on one chip”), and that in fact any
number of transistors could be put in one package. The
next week he was encouraged to have the lawyers draw
up the patent application. He said it should be written
for any number in one package, but the lawyers only
wanted to do it for two—which is what was applied for.
As it turned out, if it had not been restricted to two
transistors, Bell Labs and Dr. Darlington would receive
a royalty on every IC chip made today! Anyway, that’s
the story he tells.”
See http://www.ece.unh.edu/faculty/sidney/SDOther.html, June 14, 1995.
Quotation with Professor Glanz’s permission.

U.S. Patent 2 663 806 titled “Semiconductor Signal Trans-
lating Device” was issued on December 22, 1953 with Sidney
Darlington as sole inventor.

Suggesting they can't be both one and the other ?

Usually they aren't.
The common definition of audiophile are: "a person who is enthusiastic about high-fidelity sound reproduction": Audiophile - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary , or: "a devotee of high-fidelity sound reproduction": audiophile - Definition of audiophile , or: "An individual who is very interested and enthusiastic about the sound quality of a stereo or home theater system": Audiophile Definition from PC Magazine Encyclopedia .
To my view and to most audiophiles' view, the dedication to the SOUND QULITY and the objective approach are contradicting, since there isn't any commonly accepted objective method to evaluate sound quality.

And quite often (though not exclusively) its picking at a caricature of an audiophile.

Indeed.
Furthermore, I noted that there are 3 sub-groups of audiophiles:
Those who I call "musicophiles", whose' main concern is the degree the reproduced music is involving, convincing and exciting;
Those who I call "audiophiles", whose' main concern is the sound of the setup itself, more than the excitement from listening to the music;
Those who I call "equipophiles", whose' main concern is the equipment in itself: its' price, looks, and prestigious brand-names.
(None of those terms should be translated verbally, outside their suggested definitions).

Status
Not open for further replies.