Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II
John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2011, 04:21 PM   #10041
simon7000 is offline simon7000  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Oakmont PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua_G View Post
Even different power outlets have a big impact on the sound, though I have no clue why is it so.
Big effects I am not so sure of. But since audio gear draws large peak currents albeit small RMS ones differences in source resistance of the AC will reduce peak power available and the actual operating voltage of unregulated circuitry.

Actual audio gear current draw at 100mv/amp. From a 120 Volt AC line.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CKV400 Input Current 100mv-a Full Load.JPG (100.9 KB, 173 views)
 
Old 22nd February 2011, 04:23 PM   #10042
jacco vermeulen is offline jacco vermeulen  Netherlands
diyAudio Member
 
jacco vermeulen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: At the sea front, Rotterdam or Curaçao
Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Nothing a 5 dollar outlet can't fix.
__________________
Why does it hurt when I Pee ? (Ay Ay Ay https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5fLGWrHouk)
 
Old 22nd February 2011, 04:23 PM   #10043
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
serious challenges to the physics I currently believe
I think it is clear from my comment that I was talking about learning physics from MIT et al, not audio. You appeared to be suggesting that I have a closed mind because I still believe what I was taught at university. As you were not there at the time, you will have no idea what things I challenged and questioned. Suffice to say that I don't believe things just because someone told me to!

Some of the things claimed by certain audiophiles are simply bad physics; some are not even that good, being essentially empty phrases and recycled buzzwords. I am not a hard-line objectivist, but I am certainly not a wooly-minded post-modern 'audiophile' either.
 
Old 22nd February 2011, 04:28 PM   #10044
FrankWW is offline FrankWW  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Eddy View Post
Yes.

But so what?

Most any instrument you care to name produces 7th harmonics. And 9th, and 11th, and 13th, 14th, 15th, and so on.

But I don't see anyone saying these instruments sound like crap because they produce 7th harmonics or any other harmonics that are dissonant with the music scale.

Maybe those who insist on only listening to music made with pure tones would have a problem with these harmonics. But beyond that, I don't see any particular merit to the argument.

se
Steve, the problem with the 7th harmonic is that it sounds flat and shitey. Sure, it exists in the overtone structure of instruments but that's for flavour, timbre. You don't want to add more of it in your reproduction system. It sticks out.

See here:

Avoiding the 7th harmonic

It's been a problem for for Western and Eastern musical theorists for over two thousand years.
 
Old 22nd February 2011, 04:35 PM   #10045
Johnloudb is offline Johnloudb  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Johnloudb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacco vermeulen View Post
Nothing a 5 dollar outlet can't fix.
and one of these -

MUSICDIRECT - Music Direct
__________________
My Website: Hyperacusis, Tinnitus, My Story
 
Old 22nd February 2011, 04:44 PM   #10046
Joshua_G is offline Joshua_G  Israel
diyAudio Member
 
Joshua_G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Small village, Israel
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacco vermeulen View Post
Likely because you continue to refuse to accept the hanky panky that goes on in the head department.
You say that based on what?
 
Old 22nd February 2011, 04:49 PM   #10047
SY is offline SY  United States
On Hiatus
 
SY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chicagoland
John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua_G View Post
You say that based on what?
About 150 years of experimental psychology.
__________________
"You tell me whar a man gits his corn pone, en I'll tell you what his 'pinions is."
 
Old 22nd February 2011, 04:52 PM   #10048
Joshua_G is offline Joshua_G  Israel
diyAudio Member
 
Joshua_G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Small village, Israel
Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
I never said that audiophiles perform tweaks after reading. More likely, they read a few books and then offer spurious 'explanations' of what they believe they have heard by using buzzwords learnt from the books.
I offer no explanations, neither to myself nor to others.
I care about the way any change affects the sound of my system, I don't care much about explanations, because of I know that probably there are no valid explanations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
That must be why I generally ignore anything that type of 'real audiophile' says. Wiser people have heard of the placebo effect, and so don't fully trust their own ears let alone other people's ears.
You ignore what audiophiles say based on the assumption that what they say is based on placebo effect only. It seems that you never really examined this assumption of yours.

The amusing thing is that those 'objectivists' who discard any phenomena they cannot explain, in the name of truth, reality and science, do it in the most unscientific way, out of unchecked assumptions.
 
Old 22nd February 2011, 05:00 PM   #10049
Joshua_G is offline Joshua_G  Israel
diyAudio Member
 
Joshua_G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Small village, Israel
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon7000 View Post
Big effects I am not so sure of. But since audio gear draws large peak currents albeit small RMS ones differences in source resistance of the AC will reduce peak power available and the actual operating voltage of unregulated circuitry.

Actual audio gear current draw at 100mv/amp. From a 120 Volt AC line.
Well, you are not sure about the big effect. To my experience, to my ears, the effect is very big.

Again, I don't know how and why.
It may well be the large peaks current draw and it may be something else. However I have no clue as to why there are such big differences in the sound of my system between power distributors from different makes (both are costly distributors from well known Japanese makers).

Hearing is believing, in this case.
 
Old 22nd February 2011, 05:01 PM   #10050
Joshua_G is offline Joshua_G  Israel
diyAudio Member
 
Joshua_G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Small village, Israel
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacco vermeulen View Post
Nothing a 5 dollar outlet can't fix.
My experience shows it isn't so.
 

Closed Thread


John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part IIHide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:54 PM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 15.00%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2018 diyAudio
Wiki