And what did we buy today?

Joined 2015
Paid Member
I see from the picture that tomtt is a pesto lover. Basil pesto is on my menu today, bought fresh yesterday from a shop right at the Ligurian sea. Preserved pesto makers aren't following the true traditional recipe, despite what they write on the label, because they had to do ingradient substitution to increase shelf life (and maybe lower the cost); there is a BBC documentary about that. Taste is still good but nowere near the original. There is a special arrangement on Genoa airport, they revised hand luggage limitation to allow fresh pesto. AEROPORTO DI GENOVA - Pesto nel bagaglio a mano? Nessun problema!

Last edited:

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
40'x60' Tarp.

Attachments

• blue-everbilt-tarps-py007-64_1000.jpg
    blue-everbilt-tarps-py007-64_1000.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 204
Hit a bunch of garage sales. Amongst many things for kids, managed to score an HO six axle AC loco model for $5, a fertilizer spreader for $6, and a Harley Davidson phone for $5. Almost scored a powered breadboard from our local tech school, but after listening to the seller go on about his son's education and career as an EE and his death from brain cancer, I could not bring myself to make a lowball offer and just passed.

Depends on how many miles you ride, and your riding habits. I got well over 10K miles and had tread to spare. But I only ride 3K miles per year on the old Ironhead. I change tires every four years or so. It is an antique, so I baby it, don't flog it, and don't put many miles per year on it.

I have friends that ride over 15K per year, so yes, they change tires at least once per year. They talk about doing 85mph going to FL. I would not consider doing that on a 43 year old motorcycle, or car for that matter.

I like to do 45-55 mph putting around on back roads.

Joined 2015
Paid Member
At a flea market i grabbed 4 NOS loss prevention systems almost for free. Build date 2004, still in the original crates, they must have been spares. I only bought the control units. Nice cabinets for small amps, the bottom is a massive cast alluminium heatsink. The board contains several useful Rifa high voltage film capacitors and a nice 100uF 650V metalized polypropilene motor start capacitor: the manufacturer online datasheet says "for DC high energy pulse and magnetizing coils". I wonder if it could be reused in a tube amp.

Attachments

• IMG_2842.JPG
    IMG_2842.JPG
    155.5 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
If it is MPP, it is motor run not motor start cap. Motor start caps are bypolar Al and not good for B+ filtering.

Yes, it is a very good cap for the last filter in the B+ for a tube amp.

I think the creature in Magnus avitar is beaver, not a groundhog. Groundhogs do not have whiskers like that, at least not the 24 I've caught.

Last edited:
Kalloy Uno seatpost for my bike (arrived in the mail actually.)

I built a city cruiser out of an old 1988 DiamondBack Topanga mountain bike. It had a pillar type seatpost, and I wanted to change it to a clamp type post. There's a lot more fore/aft adjustment with the clamp type seatposts.

I'll post a picture tomorrow when I get the seatpost on. (I have to work today.)