And what did we buy today?

...Also bought a world map to put up in the kids' desk area if the wife blesses it.

This sounds like a great idea. I've been so bad at geography that I've recently done the same as wallpaper for my desktop PC. It's actually helping me a lot. Very interesting & informative - especially when you're using a 55" 4K TV for a computer monitor, heh.

Sherri wanted to start her Christmas shopping early, today. We drove over to Pittsburgh, visited two upscale shopping malls where I didn't buy anything. 2 Sams Clubs, 2 Walmarts, 3 Target's, 3 Goodwills, two other used clothing stores, two JC Penneys and a Trader Joes later across 3 states and 10 hours, we came Home.

I bought one pair of shorts, 6 T-shirts (two were used Under Armor), 2 tank tops, and a pair of flip flops, all for myself......total spent...$42. Sherri got a bunch of stuff for the grandkids.....total spent.....I don't know, and I don't want to know. Got some food at Trader Joes, ate one whole tub of chocolate chip cookies during the drive time, while surfing up information about LTE for IoT, but that's another story.

I got a pair of tripod speaker stands, and a pair of top hat sockets. I offered to donate a pair of speakers to our church for the youth group to use at their gatherings.

I spent the evening mounting the top hats, and they're all ready to go now. It will be good to get more use out of these 3-ways that have been idle in the garage for a few years. ;)

An Arduino Nano V3 + a relayboard w 4 relay and a resistor lead bending tool:

7-Resistor-Lead-Bender.jpg

Just about bought a car, but they keep changing the rules and not telling me so I have to walk away on principle. Hopefully they will come around soon. I don't like paying more than I have to.

Dealer? New car? Yeah, you have to be pretty aggressive to deal with them. A trick I learned from my sister-in-laws uncle who worked at dealerships is "the only word you use in the close meeting with the manager is 'no'". That has served me well.

I make it part of the process to get up and walk out of the place at least once or twice before signing anything. The ruder that they are, the ruder I can be. Yes, this means that you WILL miss out on a deal when they find another chump, uh buyer for the car you want, but the price will drop some each time you return from a previous walk out.

I have only purchased ONE new car for myself ever, and that took 2 months. I needed a cheap reliable car with good gas mileage that was capable of handling I-95 in rush hour, because I had an 84 mile daily commute. I had an ex rental car Dodge Shadow convertible that I liked but top speed with the top down was just about 80 MPH. It would crack 90 with the top up, but hey I lived in Florida. What happens to a car when it spends 6 months of a 2 to 2.5 hour daily grind with the gas pedal on the floor.......it survived pretty well until it blew a head gasket, which I fixed, but it was time. I picked out a low buck Dodge Neon and offered the dealer a check for $10K and my Shadow for the neon......They ran my credit and tried to sell me the $80K Viper......no deal. Weasels ran the show, so I left.

The dealership was near the college that I was attending, so I often zipped through their lot with the top down waving the check, or otherwise became a nuisance. Then one day a salesman stopped me and said that he could work the dead if I took the white car......I wanted a blue, black, or green one......A couple weeks later I took the white one. Total time to buy a car 2 months.

Finally having kids? If so, I'd say skip the Edge and go up to the Flex like we have. If you don't like the boxy look then go with the Lincoln version, but you're giving up a lot of space.

At 52, I have never purchased a new car. I have bought a couple of low mileage cars from dealers. They are experts at negotiation for sure. Need to keep yourself cool. Just say "no".

Due to my chronic broke-assedness, I've only ever bought one car from a dealer. Dunno how I got so lucky, but they were actual human beings. No outrageous fees or add-ons, plus I paid way below book for the car. They're not even local (about a 40-minute drive), but I'll go right back there if/when the time comes again. What a pleasant surprise.

What minitubes did you buy? I have 10 1J24B laying around for a tube VCA and maybe something else.

For other submini tubes, intended for amplifiers from 3/4 to 4W (SE - PP) I got small tube sockets, propably from Frag Jan Zuerst.

Hi,

I have various (6021/6111/6112/6N16B/6C6B/5744WB/ 6P30B)
I think I also have some 1j24B and 1P29B though I'm saving those for when I have learned enough (and built a 1st circuit!)

Thanks for the tip, I will have to search that source out