And what did we buy today?

More typical bottom feeding for myself.

Bought a 2x8x8 and a 2x10x8 at a garage sale for $3 each. Perfect for making a dirt bike ramp for the utility trailer.

The xbox came out of storage recently as the girls are old enough to start "healthy" kinect games. On top of an assortment of cheap used games bought at various sources, I landed a usb mic and wireless strat controller for $10 off online classifieds.

brass screws for my Struttocaster.

A few months ago I watched a video from this guy singing (and playing) praises for a cheap Chinese guitar. I had a genuine Fender Squire Strat which I played, but didn't really like. I have other guitars, but everyone who builds amps needs at least one "Strat." I was impressed with the looks and sound of the cheap guitar that Max was playing so I bought one.......and within a week sold my Strat for more than I paid for the cheapie.

Last week I was sitting in the waiting room of a doctor's office waiting for my wife when a reminder popped out of my phone telling me that I had some Ebay Bucks that would expire that night......OK, so I need to find something I need or want on Ebay within a few hours, 100+ miles from home with only a small smartphone for internet. Somewhere in the middle of my search I get pop-up to watch this video from the same guy who has already convinced me to buy a cheap guitar and a cheap bass, both of which are really good for under $70.

YouTube

OK, I ordered one. With my Ebay Bucks the guitar cost me about $32 delivered. It showed up while I was away for the weekend, and I have only had about an hour to do a complete setup and I'm still not finished with it, but this Sinocaster flat blows away the real Fender I sold. It plays well and sounds good so far. It doesn't have the output the real Fender had, but I haven't raised the pickups up closer to the strings, or even changed the strings, both of which were done to the Fender. I have a box full of pickups to try on it too, but the white pick guard has to go......a dark blue guitar needs a black one and several of my pickups are black.

I'll get pictures of it sooner or later, but for now my good camera is still packed up from the trip. If it had a Fender decal it would look like any other Strat unless you nit picked the details. Unlike the one in the video, mine has no name.

I remember my first guitar which was a Fender Musicmaster.
The action was pretty high which made quite hard to play.
It wasn't until I visited a guitar shop and played a few "better" guitars that I realised just how bad it was.
I went along the guitar wall and tried every guitar until I found one which I was happy with. I ended up wit ha Peavey Patriot hand made guitar. The action was very good and it had quite a wide fretboard for my fat fingers.
Had it about 20 years now and its still going strong. The fretboard lacquer is worn in a few places but no grooves in the fretboard wood.

I bought mine from Rocklear maybe 5 years ago (my X-mas present to myself) and it wasn't until now I started to fiddle :)p) with it.
The idea was simply to build a guitar and maybe have some fun while putting it together (I dropped the steam-punk idea early) and eventually learn how to play.

My next purchase for the guitar is a small combo, and I was adviced to go for Orange Crush 12, though the Roland Microcube had a lot of fancy effects, but I am building the Echo Rockit from MFOS, so I can miss all att stuff.

I remember my first guitar which was a Fender Musicmaster.

My first guitar was a plastic toy similar to this one:

YouTube

It was all plastic with nylon strings that kept stretching in the Florida heat (before we had air conditioning). There was a detachable piezo pickup that plugged into the bridge and there was a little plastic amp that wasn't much louder than the bare guitar. Mine was all brown plastic including the neck, and I thought it was made by Mattel, but I can't find anything like that with Google, so it might have actually been one of the earlier versions of this one.

I actually did figure out how to play a few lead runs and chord patterns convincing my parents to get me a "real" guitar from the Lafayette Radio Electronics catalog. Despite the ad copy, that little plastic amp that came with the plastic guitar did not work with the Lafayette guitar.

About this time my parents decided to upgrade the 1950's vintage Magnavox console HiFi to a new Sears Silvertone Stereo console. I got the old Maggie, and it took me about 10 minutes to cut a guitar cable in half, twist and tape the bare wires (this was before I could solder) from the guitar cord to the wires in the tone arm of the Maggie, starting 55 years of noise making.

The action was pretty high which made quite hard to play.

Ditto the Lafayette. A resourceful kid figured out how to fix this. Since the bridge was not adjustable, I removed the neck and tried various shims under the neck to raise and tilt it. I think the best combo was made from sanded down Popsicle sticks, but it was a long time ago it could have been something else.

A friend had received one of the 60's vintage plastic covered Hagstrom guitars for Hanukkah one year, but he hated the plastic look. We were in a garage band together for a year or two around age 12 or 13 and he actually liked playing my Lafayette so I played his Hagstrom.

His parents noticed this and eventually caved into his desire for a Stratocaster. I would buy his Hagstrom a few years later (about 1967). Despite its red and white plastic face and vinyl covered back it was an excellent guitar, real easy to play for a kid with short fingers. I kept it until it was stolen around 1974 or 1975. I had NO guitar for a year or two but a neighbor lent me a Vox electric and I played it for a while.

During the Smokey and the Bandit years (1975-77) I made extra money fixing CB radio sets at a local radio shop. One day some guy walks in with a Univox branded electric guitar and asks the shop owner if he could trade it for a CB amplifier. The shop owner yelled that "this ain't no pawn shop" and told him to leave.

I met the guy in the parking lot and swapped him the amp in my car for the guitar. The early 70's Univox branded stuff was made by whoever.....My 1973 vintage Univox Mini Korg synthesizer was obviously the beginnings of the Korg brand, but the guitar was actually a Mosrite (think Ventures) right down to the "M" cut into the headstock.

Since I have always been a fan of 60's surf music, I latched on to that guitar and still have it. I have played the frets off of it though. A couple of shops tell me it's not worth fixing, so I may try it myself after I experiment on some junk flea market necks first.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Lots and lots of surge suppressors. I bought three Zero Surge units for the man cave. One for the bench, and two independently isolated 8 outlet units for the stereo system and AV equipment.

Four more TrippLite Isoblock Ultra for upstairs on less expensive gear.

Yup I had a transient/surge related incident last weekend and some stuff got fried, in particular my brand new electronic crossovers. Everything is

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Stuff to help with re-grouting the shower recess floor.

Tony.

Attachments

• 20180819_123346.jpg
    20180819_123346.jpg
    536.3 KB · Views: 190
We bought this cooktop because it was a drop in. No alterations needed to the cutout that was already there. To redo the top of that island was more work than I wanted to do. I just remodeled one of our bathrooms and it was lots of work. And I bought some more green coffee.

Attachments

• DSC_0135.JPG
    DSC_0135.JPG
    150.3 KB · Views: 172
Last edited: