And what did we buy today?

What is an akai amu5 worht . Its i perfect condition . Its what i heard one of few that people want to sell can somebody mail me the info dvanreuler@gmail.com
I dont know much but hope u guys can help me out . Thanks.

I bought one a couple of years ago from a guy that had stored it it for 15 years , i've seen a few different versions mine had the volume thumbwheel .
Was mint condition and sounded surprisingly good with no issues , paid GBP 35 sold GBP 110 on Ebay (highest bid).
They are quite sought after due to the negative feedback ' open loop ' system used , a quick look and a few on various sites between €150 (Netherlands), $300 (us)

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Some audiophile quality speaker cable. I just couldn't help myself, I got two packs and all for £1.49 per pack of 12 metres.

I'm a little confused about the impedance though :D I think my speakers might be a little quiet.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• C1.jpg
    C1.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 255
  • C2.jpg
    C2.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 252
  • C3.jpg
    C3.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 169
Cable discussions from two mods , you guys should know better :D ... seriously without stirring up a hornets nest if there's any difference in the sonic signature of cables the most noticeable i find is with solid core compared to stranded .
Solid seems to tighten up the bass and sounds a bit more focused to my ears.

Cable discussions from two mods , you guys should know better :D ... seriously without stirring up a hornets nest if there's any difference in the sonic signature of cables the most noticeable i find is with solid core compared to stranded .Solid seems to tighten up the bass and sounds a bit more focused to my ears.
Horsesh**!!! BLUE wire sounds the BEST!!!!

Horsesh**!!! BLUE wire sounds the BEST!!!!

I disagree , in my experience cables with a blue jacket or even just a blue polarity line printed on them tend to have a ' cold ' presentation .
Great if you like a lean and analytical sound but being British i prefer the classic ' warm '
and lush sound .
Cables with red sheathing provide this but at times can be a little bit too warm sounding muddy and lacking in detail.

The best colour cables i've found to date are orange , not so easy to find but i got good results from a set i made from six 3 metre runs , using 3 lengths of stranded and 3 lengths of solid core per channel , i divided them into 2 solid and 1 stranded for each of the +/-, separated by black insulation to minimize any electrons ' escaping ' , twisted the ends together, secured with silver solder and covered it all with an outer layer of fluorescent orange insulation tape.

Sound fantastic , nice and warm but with no loss of detail and the mix of solid and stranded seems to provide the perfect compromise between clarity and body.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
As promised, accurate resistance test on above purchase 0.885 and 0.910 ohms per core so around 1.8 ohms total for the quoted 12 metre run. One core (all stranded) is copper colour, the other silver so it could still have real audiophile potential :D

Found the CAT5E cable. I think it was around 15 metres and that reads around 6 ohms per core on a DVM. Bright red outer :) it was cheapest at the time.

There could be a market here... hi end speakers and amps with CAT5 connectivity and the option for bi and tri- wiring. A fortune awaits :)

Joined 2016
Paid Member
I disagree , in my experience cables with a blue jacket or even just a blue polarity line printed on them tend to have a ' cold ' presentation .
Great if you like a lean and analytical sound but being British i prefer the classic ' warm '
and lush sound .
Cables with red sheathing provide this but at times can be a little bit too warm sounding muddy and lacking in detail.

The best colour cables i've found to date are orange , not so easy to find but i got good results from a set i made from six 3 metre runs , using 3 lengths of stranded and 3 lengths of solid core per channel , i divided them into 2 solid and 1 stranded for each of the +/-, separated by black insulation to minimize any electrons ' escaping ' , twisted the ends together, secured with silver solder and covered it all with an outer layer of fluorescent orange insulation tape.

Sound fantastic , nice and warm but with no loss of detail and the mix of solid and stranded seems to provide the perfect compromise between clarity and body.

What did you use for cable lifters? I can never quite decide if underneath lifters or suspension from above is better. Perhaps bybee will make a skyhook soon.

What did you use for cable lifters? I can never quite decide if underneath lifters or suspension from above is better. Perhaps bybee will make a skyhook soon.
Funny you should say that :D i actually have the cables suspended from a series of
helium filled balloons.
The cables are attached to the balloons via a specially treated twist - wrap ( i can't reveal the treatment yet as i am in the process of getting a patent ) .