And what did we buy today?

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
With those gas prices here, there would be traffic chaos around the gas stations....

Invade Texas and move to the end of the pipeline.

Or change to stupid-low road taxes. (Gas is $1.50 at the refinery, $2.40-2.50 normally here, difference is transportation including 300 miles past the pipeline and federal+state road tax.)

(Ooops, can't talk politics here.)

On a whim Sherri and I got up Friday morning and decided to take a self guided tour of the flea markets and junk shops in the north east of Ohio. The flea markets were rather sparsely attended due to cold weather and the threat of rain, but in the first 5 minutes at Rogers I found a 1960's vintage Simpson 260 meter for $5. An Amish doughnut would be my only other purchase. Sherri found some house plants at the Hartville flea market.

I found a 1960's vintage "Heathkit Jr. Deluxe Electronic Workshop - 35" at an antique shop in Berlin Ohio for $35. This is a smaller version of the GE learning kit that I had at age 9. It's meant to teach basic electronics using transistors.

Anyone interested in some electronics learning videos 1965 style on Youtube?

Saturday we wandered up to Cleveland in some serious rain to see the "A Christmas Story" movie house, and the Rock And Roll Hall of fame. The highlight of that trip was a stop at Micro Center where I hot a 2 in 1 Repair station, basically a clone of a Hakko hot air soldering station.

On the way back home we stopped at a craft store where I got a BIG stack of off cut and blemished 3/4 inch cabinet grade hardwood including oak, curly maple and Ambrosia maple for $70.

Attachments

• P3320720_x.jpg
    P3320720_x.jpg
    874.6 KB · Views: 140
Due to old age, a slight tremble in my right hand and various other reasons I bought a pair of Zen Mod's boards for his take on the Pass M2...he calls it a M25. Other than the input transformers they were completely soldered and only need the PS built and all put in a case!

They arrived a couple of days ago...he could not have taken more care in assembly and his shipping packaging was superb,

Thank you ZM :)

Last year I would have wanted the 260.

I had one in the early 70's. It sacrificed itself to teach me a valuable lesson.

I had been working on the three phase power supply in a 3 KW Gates transmitter that was blowing the power breaker on start up. I assumed that there was a big short in the HV supply, so I set the Simpson on OHMS and proceeded to look for a short. My first suspect was the big capacitor in the power supply, which had four large 50 watt bleeder resistors in series right across it. When I stuch the probes into the amp the meter exploded. After the OH Sh*** wore off, we decided to call it a day. The next day a high voltage meter found about 5000 volts still in that cap, and I had been all over the inside of that amp. One of the 6 diodes in the three phase bridge was shorted, and one of the resistors in the bleeder chain was open. This is also why the plate voltage meter read zero. The top resistor was open, and the meter ran off the bottom one. I attached a couple pictures from that day in 1976. The schematic of the power supply is hanging from the top of the transmitter.

For $5 I couldn't pass it up, although I may never use it. I will open it up and see what the batteries look like. The meter doesn't look like it's been used in years.

Cool learning kit. Sounds like you both had a good time out there.

It was good just to get out of the house for two days. The rain hampered the fun a little, but I really don't need to be bringing home more projects......though I'm about to try my hand at burning up some junk computer boards with the hot air tool.

Attachments

• Gates_1.jpg
    Gates_1.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 95
  • Gates_2.jpg
    Gates_2.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 90