And what did we buy today?

Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of the War of the Worlds on vinyl... I paid over the odds for what is a common record, but it was a bit of a "cheer me up" impulse buy after a shitty week at work.

The Billy Idol LP was a free include (ironically, it's worth more).

The seller ultrasonically cleans, realistically grades, and puts everything in antistatic sleeves etc and for that, I don't mind paying a little extra. Very happy to add these to my small but growing collection. IMG_20190917_181937_755.jpg IMG_20190917_181430.jpg

Oh and I almost forgot. A new belt for my Yamaha CS-70P TT arrived. As of now it runs at 34.1 rpm and with a little wow and flutter (the belt is old) so we'll see what happens with the new belt. I might do a quick post about it when I get to swapping and I'll try boiling the original belt too (which tightens them up). For science!

16MHz crystal for my usb scope project.
The previous 8MHz crystal was interfering with my op amp circuit.
My fault for placing clock circuit to close to op amp.
A quick temp fix was limit bandwidth of op amp to below 8MHz.

If you can, maybe try a tiny ferrite on the power, not far from the crystal, helps keep some of that wicked chatter out of the rest of the works. That’s just assuming you don’t already have that anyways.

I bought a tank of gas today...

Bought an old CD player, a Technics SL-PG340 at the recycling store for $10. I don't know that I need another one, but starting to get paranoid that good transports are becoming unobtanium at cheap prices. This one has no digital output, and Googling the service manual says it has a Panasonic MN66271RA all-in-one DAC chip and a Panasonic RAE0111Z transport. I still haven't figured out if I can add a digital output yet.