Big problem with hacker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
About a year ago i went onto a chat room,and some moron in there was pretending to be a girl,so i gave the person my e-mail adress,stupidly.The next time i went on there the same person said he was a man,which is sick to confuse me like that.
Then after i insulted him for saying such dirty stuff,then tricking me,he started sending me racist threatening e-mails and kept interfering with my internet connection,by randomly disconnecting me.

I went out and bought ZONE ALARM PRO,which hasn't done nothing,it's useless,i still get the racist e-mails and get disconnected from the net most of the time.

I also had a new hard drive and modem installed,because the hacker damaged the old ones with many virus's and trojans.

But still,nothing has improved,i've phone the Police,but they can't help me out,unless i'm a big company.

So does anyone know how to get rid,or at least block this creten from hacking and abusing me with threats and racist e-mails,as well as interfering with my connection.

My service provider is Freeserve,and i've got a 56k modem.

So if anyone knows of a better firewire than Zone Alarm Pro,i would be gratefull.

I also had a new hard drive and modem installed,because the hacker damaged the old ones with many virus's and trojans.

This is the first time I hear a hacker destroying hardware. :scratch:

Everytime you login with a dailup connection (modem) you get a new ip adres, so how does this hacker know you are online and which ip adress you have ? :confused:

I suggest to format you harddrive and do a fresh install of windows and zonealarm. Never open attachments in your email from people you don't know. Don't install all kinds of software that contain spyware, kazaa for example. Your ISP can findout who is sending you this emails.

Are you serious, or is this some rather strange april fools joke?

Bull said:
About a year ago i went onto a chat room,and some moron in there was pretending to be a girl,so i gave the person my e-mail adress,stupidly.The next time i went on there the same person said he was a man,which is sick to confuse me like that.
Then after i insulted him for saying such dirty stuff,then tricking me,he started sending me racist threatening e-mails and kept interfering with my internet connection,by randomly disconnecting me.

The only possible way he could disconnect you would be if he had somehow gotten a trojan installed on your machine.... not impossible I guess. Did he send you any strange email attachments? Do you use MS outlook?

I went out and bought ZONE ALARM PRO,which hasn't done nothing,it's useless,i still get the racist e-mails and get disconnected from the net most of the time.

Of course a firewall won't stop someone sending you unwanted email... (If it did I wouldn't have to delete 100 spam mails every day.)

It will stop people connecting to your machine, taking advantage of security problems in your software or installed trojans.

Are you sure you don't just have a crappy ISP that disconnects you?

You mean he somehow physically damaged your hard drive and modem??? How?

Reformatting the hard drive and reinstalling your OS would get rid of any viruses and trojans...

But still,nothing has improved,i've phone the Police,but they can't help me out,unless i'm a big company.

If you now have a brand new OS installation, with a firewall, on a new harddisk then I think you can be pretty sure your problems are not caused by a 'hacker'.

Do you have any real reason to believe he is responsible?

So does anyone know how to get rid,or at least block this creten from hacking and abusing me with threats and racist e-mails,as well as interfering with my connection.

A properly installed firewall will block him. Also install any security updates for your OS, browser, email software... And a good antivirus software.

If this person uses his real email adress when sending you mail, just dont read his mail (or configure your email software to automatically delete or ignore them, if it has such a function).

If he uses a real email adress, complain to his email provider/ISP. Usually you can reach them at abuse@hisdomain

Switch to another ISP (at least temporarily) and see if the random disconnections go away.

Your best bet against trojans and viruses is a scan utility from McAffe or Semantic(Norton Utilities). These can be set up (usually default) to scan any emails and their enclosures for known viruses and trojans before you open them. Unless this nut is a master hacker, he won't have anything to get past these. These programs are fairly cheap for what they do. Firewalls limit what comes through in a general sense and more designed for internet data transfer than email use. Size, origin and destinations are their general definitions. There are, of course, more involved but these are what are primarily considered. What is allowed through is usually untouched and left to the background virus scan software. A firewall like Zone Alarm Pro will also allow your IP to remain hidden from detection and essentially only visable during the time of actual upload/download. One the most used email "weapons" is innundation, sending so many large emails your inbox or data limitation is quickly used and the free provider cuts you off. The built-in firewalls are useful if you take the time to list the unwanted addresses on the block list. Many free providers offer virus scans in their paid upgrades and these are routinely updated.

Re: Re: Big problem with hacker

cyr said:
The only possible way he could disconnect you would be if he had somehow gotten a trojan installed on your machine.... not impossible I guess.

Well a decent hacker can disconnect you simply by sending your computer a special data packet. I seriously doubt that a software firewall will have any defence if that is the case. As for how the hacker knows your IP address each time you log on, a trojan would certainly be the most likely explanation.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
HACKS.

Hi,

Well a decent hacker can disconnect you simply by sending your computer a special data packet

Not with a half decent firewall it wouldn't.

As for how the hacker knows your IP address each time you log on, a trojan would certainly be the most likely explanation.

Correct, but it isn't a cookie sending the information but some Javascript.
Usually a file with the *.asp extension.(Active Server page)

A decent anti-virus program + a decent firewall should detect this activity though.

Cleaning out and I mean literally and manually deleting all "Temporary internet files" may cure it.

Cheers,;)

Go to a friends place, use their puter, and download Spybot and one of the other trojan deleters available online. Load them in your PC and run them. Install a good virus scanner, firewall, cookie cruncher etc.

Change your email addy. Tip: I have a number of email addy's, and I only ever use one or two for online, newsgroups etc. As soon as I start getting spam, I delete it and make up another. My friends and business use two addy's I'm quite protective of.

I'd also contact your ISP as was suggested, and pass on the emails etc, and see what they can do about it, even if it's simply giving you a new IP if yours is fixed.

Good luck

hacker

software firewall's blow. u can pick up a cheap router for $99
that has a firmware firwall and u can update the firmware
and share your internet. i got 4 pc's running plus a a big server
with a webpage.on one cable modem. the router keeps a log
of ip's that are sending packets to you. you just grab the ip
and use trace rout to find the bugger.and than if he keep it up
report it to your isp. or you could just give me the ip:devilr:

dos attacks hurt:goodbad:

and for the warning

dont try this at home you can loose your cable modem

~sHoOpOo~

your router must be old. mine is firmware flash it should be it cost $250 or just use zone alarm i get more hacked pc's in and make more money.or you could make your own with a old p90 and a floppy no harddrive needed.2 network cards. u can get a linx firwall on floppy. hard to setup but works great

things like loadqm running in the background leaves your pc wide
open for hackers

its part of yahoo messenger just remove it from start up

msconfig it:rolleyes:

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
No Good.

Hi,

A router with NAT will provide far better protection than any software firewall run on a user's machine.

Did he have one running?

No, obviously not.
What else you have in mind that could, eventually, possibly, maybe have prevented this?

Either way, curing something is about a 1.000 times harder than preventing it.

Cheers,;)

/Puters you know...:rolleyes:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.