Habanero Peppers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The "heat" is caused by an alkaloid compound called capsaicin.

The burning can be relieved by something acidic like lemon juice that will help neutralize the alkalinity of the capsaicin, or by a fatty dairy product. The fat in the dairy product mixes well with the oily capsaicin and helps to get it away from the pain receptors on the tongue and in the mouth.

originally posted by Cal Weldon
I gotta know the motivation for this is. Do you not like your band members? Did they play out of key or stay up past their curfew or something?

You don't play nice.
No real motivation besides stupidity and some fun. I just grew some habaneros, and figured it'd be fun to feed them to the band as kind of a challenge. In fact, I also ate one to prove myself. The main difference is that I'm accustomed to the heat. But we're all cool with each other.

I'm also planning on eating the Naga Jolokias as soon as I can get ahold of some. Somehow this seems even more dangerous then the 700V B+ in my amp.

There's a Mythbusters episode where they test some cures for pepper burn. One that was not so effective: petroleum jelly. Yum. Milk was the best.

At a family reunion campout, someone brought some homegrown habaneros. One distant relative spooned a generous amount onto her plate. I warned her twice that "Those are VERY hot". The expression on her face when she ate them was entertaining, and I didn't feel guilty since I'd fulfilled my obligation to warn.

All the so called cures seem to just mask the heat. The only one I know that works from a different angle is salt. It creates the saliva that draws the heat way from your tongue. Rinse with salt water like you do mouthwash and your troubles will be less. Milk and yogurt just give you a temporary cooling and send it to your stomach where you get to deal with it later.

Mmm...peppers

Attachments

• img_2893.jpg
    img_2893.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 176
"burns at both ends...."

i eat habaneros on a regular basis. even though i love the HOT, if i eat too much i get the hiccups. beer is a good counteragent to the capsaiscin, at least in the mouth and throat. still doesn't impede the absorption of capsaiscin into the system from the stomach. that's actually a good thing since capsaiscin helps your body fight off the flu.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.