Anybody near Toronto have experience with Half Price Tools

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone,

I'm looking at buying a MIG welder from this discount tool place in Newmarket but would like to confirm if they have a good reputation before I commit my credit card number over the phone.

I've thought about going there, but it appears that they prefer to do business by phone or through eBay seller GTAsupply, who has a fairly good eBay reputation. The only reason for not going through eBay is that I don't want to hassle with bidding and waiting when the auctions end at a price very near the actual retail price.

I've asked around with some welders and they are all so loyal to brands L and M that any info I get is more like useless snake oil.

So, if there's anybody willing to share a good or bad experience with these guys, it would be very helpful.

Thanks very much in advance.

:)ensen.
London, Ontario.

First off, you are the customer with the money, you are in charge. Forget what THEY PREFER. Myself, I would not be comfortable laying out coin for a serious major tool like a mig welder without laying my paws and eyes on it in person in the store first.

Beware that there are many very low duty cycle cigarette lighters out there that are being sold allegedly as mig welders.

Sorry, no experience with this outfit. Never heard of them.

Thanks for the words of caution.

Initially, I was skeptical of the advertising since the MIG welder being sold was less than half the price of any of the major brands. But, I was able to contact some eBay buyers and they each report that the welder being sold has worked very well. More than a couple told me it was a clone of a well known brand, which leads me to believe that it may be the common practice of an offshore OEM selling units that never shipped.

I may yet end up with an $700 unit but MIG has been around a long time and even a basic machine should do what I need.

:)ensen.

PS: Yes... I know that $700 is still inexpensive, but I'm on a shoestring.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.