Canadians persecuting Americans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple friends of mine went up to Vancouver for the weekend and had a couple of very strange experiences. My friends are originally from Alabama and have the accent to match so anyone in earshot is going to know what country they are from.

First they were kicked out of a bar while trying to order a drink. They walked in sat down and ordered a beer (their first of the day) and the bartender says, "you look like you've had too much to drink." One of my friends thinks he's just being funny and starts laughing. This seems to anger the bartender and he proceeds to ask them to leave the property.

Later they are having dinner at a nice restaurant and in the middle of their steaks, one notices that while their steaks were served to them on wooden cutting boards, everyone else in the restaurant is eating off plates. A backpedaling waiter tried to explain it away.

Whether they were told or not, my friends attributed this treatment to Canadian anti-war sentiment, ironically echoed by my friends. They blew it off and didn't get too angry about it. If it were me, I would have been livid.

Is this really happening or were my friends just impaired from their visit to the Blunt Brothers Cafe? Is this happening in other parts of the world?

the bartender says, "you look like you've had too much to drink."
Was this after the visit to Blunt Bros.?

...in the middle of their steaks, one notices that while their steaks were served to them on wooden cutting boards, everyone else in the restaurant is eating off plates.
How could you not "notice" this until half way through the meal?

...my friends attributed this treatment to Canadian anti-war sentiment, ironically echoed by my friends. They blew it off and didn't get too angry about it.
There are people here who are pissed at the American government, but not the American people.

Is this really happening or were my friends just impaired from their visit to the Blunt Brothers Cafe?
I'm not calling either your friends(or you) liars, but this whole story sounds kind of bunk. While it is an interesting story, nothing in it seems to ring true. I would rack up their "experience" to a little ride on the ganja train.

That's a relief. I figured because this site is so Canadian rich, I could get the real story. The behavior my friends saw is not reflected in the posts I read.

My friend *can* inadvertantly twist reality, cannabanoids or not. I certainly don't contest they were thrown out of a bar. It's happened to them before in years past, but it usually takes several hours of hard drinking and some cute waitress to make it happen. I imagine their experience at the bar influenced their reaction at dinner.

First off all, we (and you) don't know how your friends behaved that night. I really doubt that they did not do anything offensive..

I also don't believe that they were "mistreated" because of anti-war feelings.
Those feelings are much stronger here in Europe, yet non of my american colleges working here have experienced anything of that nature.

I do believe that most of the american people think that the rest of the world is against them, but that's not the case. The world just hates Bush and what he's doing to the world.
It's not the fault of the american people, not even those who voted for him. They couldn't have known that 9/11 was going to happen.

My friend allowed a few more facts that he somehow missed before.

The bar was the Jolly Taxpayer and the retelling of the story allows that an innocent request for a verbal list of draft beers quickly turned into a heated exchange. Most likely the combination of a quick-tempered customer who doesn't realize how comes off and a barkeep who was a little sensitive.

The steak on plank happened at Hy's. When they asked a passing waiter about their place settings, the waiter replied that their cuts of meat are traditionally served on cutting boards. If they had ordered a filet or a ribeye, it would have come on a plate. My friends then looked down at their respective filet and ribeye a bit puzzled. Because it was a nice restaurant, they decided not to push their luck and instead finished each other's steak (waiter mixed up the order), left a generous tip, and left.

Later that night, they reflected on their experiences that included anti-war demonstrations and figured it must be anti-american sentiment. They figured their strong Alabama accents made them targets.

No sled team for them. Dogs sleep on the porch where they're from. They get around in their BMW's equipped with Alabama decal, confederate license plate frame, BR549 vanity plate, and dixie horn.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Vancouver is a tourist town & has a very large contingent of American movie makers (3rd largest movie production spot in the world).

There is a very diverse community. Like any community there will be some preducdices, but in a place like a bar or resturant they probably "asked" for any treatment they got (these guys know who pays the bills).

The steak on a wooden platter is usually a sign of a higher-end product ... the cheap steaks get the plates.

Most Canadians realize that many Americans are just as upset with Bush about his war stand and don't lump an American individual in with the "leadership"

dave

planet10/ hopes that Saddam backs down & the George is just playing chicken to get him to

I've known these guys for nine years and they are not hellraisers but rather polite. However, one of them can adopt a caustic tone when annoyed that he's oblivious to.

I think the bartender was getting his buttons pushed by the caustic one who was getting increasingly frustrated trying to order a beer from a barkeep who wanted to quiz him on his tastes instead of just naming off the beers on tap per his repeated request. As his frustration level increased, his tone became caustic. The second one, easy going and polite to a fault, laughs when the highly agitated bartender suggests that they've had too much to drink, thinking that the bartender is trying to be funny. The bartender now thinking that he is being mocked, throws them out.

It seems clear the bartender was trying to help suggest a beer to his liking but he really just wanted to know what was on tap as he would prefer to order by name. He's a good-ol-boy trying hard to be a yuppie.

I think it was just a personality clash and maybe a touch of chemically induced paranoia.

ultrachrome said:

Later they are having dinner at a nice restaurant and in the middle of their steaks, one notices that while their steaks were served to them on wooden cutting boards, everyone else in the restaurant is eating off plates. A backpedaling waiter tried to explain it away.

Well, here in Europe quite a few places serve certain steaks that way and that is considered the proper way. Usually referred to as Plank Steak where I come from. Special woods add some flavour to the dish.

My vote goes to paranoia and problems due to the behaviour of them not the restaurant.

Re: Re: Canadians persecuting Americans?

UrSv said:
Well, here in Europe quite a few places serve certain steaks that way and that is considered the proper way. Usually referred to as Plank Steak where I come from. Special woods add some flavour to the dish.

My vote goes to paranoia and problems due to the behaviour of them not the restaurant.
I think this is cool, order a "plankstek" and then expect the steak served on a dish. :up:

GuySmiley said:
I am from Vancouver and I have to admit that when I get mad at americans I serve them steak on a wooden platter. Nothing says "War Monger" like serving them a steak on a wooden platter... :bigeyes: But in this case it just sounds like a mix up, so you probably shouldn't take offence.

Indeed, we do the same over here. Or we serve them coffee in a real cup, not one of those styrofoam cups. That really offends them :)

Maybe they should server Saddam a steak on a wooden platter :) That 'll scare him, for shure!

DIY_Peter said:

Indeed, we do the same over here. Or we serve them coffee in a real cup, not one of those styrofoam cups. That really offends them :)

There you go, the world is different. Here we don't do nasty things to other nationalities in restaurants. On top of that I would expect to get my steak on wooden platter in some cases as mentioned and I would be offended getting my coffee in styrofoam rather than a real cup...

Maybe the bartender was black and got a look at the Confederate license plate frames?

I wouldn't know if BC pot is the best there is, but certainly Humboldt and Mendocino would be in the running. Or the Dutch hydroponic White Widow. I assume that some magazine has already done the reviews, commenting on width, depth, and accuracy of the soundsatge with the stereo turned off.

paranoia in the heart of capitalism

FYI, Hy's is a high end timewarped steak place that caters to the capitalist set (including a strong continent of visiting business types). Waiters there would never slight a paying customer, no matter what their personal feelings about that person.

Can't say about the bar experience.

Norman

Well, after reading some of the posts in the "peace" thread, I'm inclined to believe something probably did happen.

Some of our forum members, including Canadians, have vented some dreadful anti-american and anti-jewish sentiments. Some so open and frank, I admit I was shocked.

Sorry to break your illusion of civility, but this goes beyond hatred of "the US governement" only.

I have traveled from one end of Canada to the other and can say that BC is a beautiful, friendly place that I hope to visit many more times. I cannot say as much for Quebec. Although few, I have had some incidents there as an American. ZZZIPP - (putting on flame suit)

A couple friends of mine went up to Vancouver for the weekend and had a couple of very strange experiences. My friends are originally from Alabama and have the accent to match so anyone in earshot is going to know what country they are from.

Strange? First time out of the US?

First they were kicked out of a bar while trying to order a drink. They walked in sat down and ordered a beer (their first of the day) and the bartender says, "you look like you've had too much to drink." One of my friends thinks he's just being funny and starts laughing. This seems to anger the bartender and he proceeds to ask them to leave the property.

Their first beer of the day, what about the whiskey, vodka, and heavy shots from earlier on? And yeah, the bartenders if cought by law officiers giving/selling boos to a drunkard who is already drunk would be considered illegal and agains the law... The drunk although probably out of control (unable to do crap) could still be able to cause much harm...

Depends on what they ordered? Uhm, not used to outer cuisine? Must be their first time out of control. Should be an honour to be served by a chef, or not even a chef but like that, it's just a style, fresh, sort of deal, much like pan pizza ... wtf man :/ They complained of that?

Whether they were told or not, my friends attributed this treatment to Canadian anti-war sentiment, ironically echoed by my friends. They blew it off and didn't get too angry about it. If it were me, I would have been livid

Oh wow they are gunho americans? What's this? They like war? Err good morning, yes we Canadians don't like war, and not cause we are wusses (we can push you around and slap you as well) but because we consider Peace much more strong then Violence... Violence is not power... As OPPOSITE as that may seem to you

Is this really happening or were my friends just impaired from their visit to the Blunt Brothers Cafe? Is this happening in other parts of the world?

Surprise surprise, the US is not the only CONTINENT on this planet?

It would seem that Americans are awaking from their DREAM world, The American Dream lol... wake up, reality still exists.

It would seem your perfect world and perfect way of thinking is upset all of a sudden, with the introduction of reality and the removal of the mass media "filter"... You are living poisoned by an IDEA Virus... How can you be shocked, that you are not LIKED or respected in the least, when you deny or if you don't deny but just don't care... of what your government has been doing.. and how it's been sticking its nose up everyone's ***... obviously people will dislike that...

I am from Vancouver and I have to admit that when I get mad at americans I serve them steak on a wooden platter. Nothing says "War Monger" like serving them a steak on a wooden platter... But in this case it just sounds like a mix up, so you probably shouldn't take offence.

Lol .. yes it would seem americans are becomign so touchy that everyone is their enemy if its not against their norms... wtf :/

Status
Not open for further replies.