Lead vs. Silver solder

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Wirewrap is a very good connection and the wire used very good (Kynar) but can be difficult to get right and can potentially cause problems that are difficult to trace if not done correctly. It works the best on square pins which partially cut into the wire and hold it tighter... but who uses those in audio? It is more difficult to repair as you have to replace the wire run to fix the connection properly, even worse if you have the problem at a multi wire connection as every wire on top of the bad wrapped one has to be replaced as well.

I`m going to reply here on your beliefs!..and make it interesting ....component leads are copper based they "TIN" them with lead for easy coheasion with solder...during the heating process the flux cleans any contamination between the joining connection concluding with a copper to copper connection....silver which is a better conductor and has a higher melting point is not great for soldering componets...(there is a 1 ohm difference between silver and copper based a 1000 foot wire)...the key thing I have with designing boards is to use a low melting point solder with good cleaning abilities so you dont trap flux in the joint...this very crucial in signal paths.....enough of my rant...you can all swear at me now..hahahaha...cause I`m the DIRT:cool:

Cheers!!The DIRT®

So its been nearly 9 years since this thread was last posted to.

What does everybody think in that time about silver vs lead based solder in their systems?

Does it make a difference to the sound?
If so is this improvement in the positive direction or does it totally screw it up and make things sterile?

And still I havnet really heard the difference between leadfree soldered amps and amps soldered with lead.
Or perhaps the sound is a tad heavier in the amps soldered with......

And there is no doubt, the leadfree solder is quite a bit harder to get good.
Not much, but if You are used to solder with lead-containing solder and then suddenly grips to a leadfree variant, there is some adapting to do.

But when one is as old as me, there is really no problem whatsoever.
I remember when the solder with flux inside it came. It was so difficult to lay off that flux-paste we used mostly back then.

In another fifteen years one will hear: "Solder WITH lead? Who in H*** would ever use that?"

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
What does everybody think in that time about silver vs lead based solder in their systems?

you can now get both leaded and lead free solder with silver
I dont know why the industrie have used lead solder with silver
but fact is they have
or else it would never have been made

silver in lead free solder ?
I dont know, but reckon the silver 'compensates' some for the 'missing' lead
Im gonna try it, and buying a small 100gr roll right now

Does it make a difference to the sound?

I doubt that
maybe only in case it makes you solder better

If so is this improvement in the positive direction or does it totally screw it up and make things sterile?

rubbish:hohoho:

but fact is they have

I've used 62/36/2 silver-bearing solder exclusively ever since I started soldering. Everyone has their solder preference, this one is mine. It flows well and makes beautifully shiny connections.

I have no interest in lead-free.

but fact is they have

Besides the beauty of the joints, silver bearing lead solder has always been necessary for soldering silver-containing components and terminals- a perfect example is the Tektronix ceramic terminal strips, where non-silver-bearing solder will leach out the plating and cause failure.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
'Always wondered about that. I first saw silver bearing solder on a Tektronix 'scope trolley back in the 1960s, when they were all "toobs" and had perfectly flat, round screens. I knew they used it but didn't think of the leaching effect, as you get with copper tip erosion using standard Pb/Sn alloys.

I can't imagine that the consumer and general service market demand was ever enough to support the product to the current distribution level, which seems to cater mainly to the perfectionists and imagineers who must believe audio is better with precious metals, rare unobtanium parts etc.

I have been told in the past that the Germans employed Lead/Tin/Silver solder during WWII in the wiring looms of their aircraft.
The Britts had problems with wires fatigueing and breaking away from connections until they understood that the Germans were using Lead/Tin/Silver solder to help avoid this sort of unwanted failure mode.

Eric.

Pb97.5Ag2.5

Ag2.5, UNS L50132. Used during World War II to conserve tin. Poor corrosion resistance; joints suffered corrosion in both atmospheric and underground conditions, all had to be replaced with Sn-Pb alloy joints.[40] Torch solder.

Solder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Symposium on Solder: Presented at the Fifty-ninth Annual Meeting American ... - American Society for Testing Materials - Google Books

page 114 is overloaded it seems but if you scroll up or down enough you can read the rest.

Last edited:
Lead free solder.

See my opinion about in this older post: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/103871-yamaha-amplifier-upgrade.html

You can notice that Anatech is absolutely deaf to the difference in sound, he see just an extreme and pure technical point of view. He doesn't see (or isn´t interested about) the enhancement in sound architecture.

In one hand, we have the technical and chemical issues from using the lead free solder, and in the other, such improvement in sound.

It's absolutely clear for me that the improvement is heavier than the issues; well, I'm sorry, only music matters to me.

Cheers.

You can notice that Anatech is absolutely deaf to the difference in sound, he see just an extreme and pure technical point of view. He doesn't see (or isn´t interested about) the enhancement in sound architecture.

I know Chris pretty well and "deaf" is the last word I would use to describe him. Perhaps you would consider seeing if you can verify these "sound architecture" differences to determine if they're real or your brain fooling yourself- that happens to ALL of us, at least those who are humans.

Funny.
Just as I am starting my construction of the GM-Clone, I have used my last roll of lead-based solder.
Now using a 4% silver/sn-solder I find it to be very good.
Smooth as I never expected it to be.
SOLDEREX is the brand, and I am looking forward to see the long term properties.
But as far as I see it: A good solder.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.