Anyone Try/Trying to Quit Smoking (cigaretts) Out There?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Quit Smoking

Hi Rino

I smoked for 24 yrs, used the gum to quit. The trick was to convience your brain you were getting relief when you chewed the gum. It's been 5 yrs now. I still think of it as being addicted, One smoke and it will all start over again. Still one of the best things I ever did.

Good Luck
Bob2

You CAN do it

This sure is difficult...how long do these cravings last for?
For me it was years:(
I haven't smoked for 22 years now. (I was a 40-a-day man).

The way I eventually learned to control the cravings was to avoid the situations where I previously used to "light up". Of course you can't avoid them all;), but avoiding some of them takes some stress out of the equation, and leaves you better at coping with the unavoidable's..

In a nutshell: change your habits. Men in particular are naturally habitual.

Good luck:)

PS I can still remember the tastes of various brands, but the thought of them makes me feel sick now.

I quited smoking around 2 years ago. I was thinking of that and one day woke up and said to myself that it was the DAY. I carried a packet of cigarretes with me all the time, for around 2 months, just to relief any stress :bomb: that smokers have when they don't have cigarretes at hand. But for me it was not difficult at all.
The hardest part is when you take your coffee, you just don´t know where to put your hands :).

YMMV, but it really pays off .:$:

Rino odorico said:
Anyone ever tried this? I feel like chewing through the floor right now...sorry for the rant, just needed to vent.:bigeyes:

Rino Odorico
I smoke pipe, sometimes.

But I am really a "svensk snusare" - swedish snuffer.
A person taking fine grained tobacco and form it,
and put it under his overlip - intra-venious nicotine intake.
Saves the lungs - but is not good for the heart can give you high bloodpressure.

Many swedish hockey-players over there, use this swedish snuff.
It comes in small round boxes, 50 grams.
It is hard to find out in the world, so I guess they have it sent to them, from Sweden.
---------------------------------------

I am so addicted to nicotine. A snuffer, chewing tobaccouser,
can have this in his mouth for hours,
yes, even sleep with it in place under the lip.
So because of the long time exposure, it is like a smoker smoking cigarett
after cigarett all day. And it gives a higher total poison dose.

So it is even harder to stop snuffing tobacco, than stop smoking.
You require more nicotine not to begin to "climb the walls".
-----------------------------------------

I don't mind as much running out of food, as being out of snuff!
What is hunger for a week, compared to a day without nicotine? :bawling:

/halo - many years highly addited to and slave under NICOTINE :(

Picture shows - the leading label for many years in Sweden: "ETTAN"
"Ettan" means "NUMBER ONE"

In sweden we count: ETT två tre fyra - ONE two three four

Attachments

• ettan_snusdosa.jpg
    ettan_snusdosa.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 259
i have never smoked, and dont plan to...

however, my grandad used to smoke about 60 a day, as soon as the first infomation came that smoking COULD damage your health, he quit.

he managed it by telling himself, and people around him that he didn't smoke, not that he was quitting.

Rino-

Best of luck.... I quit (for the upmteenth time) about a month ago.
Two heart attacks wasn't what convinced me. When our self righteous mayor, Bloomberg, raised cigarette taxes so a pack was at $7.50, I just picked up 10 cartons in Delaware for $2 a pack. When they ran out, I prepared to drive back to Deleware and realized I'd pretty much gone round the bend. That and realizing I've got to shell out 2 college tuitions next year for my 2 sons (my youngest has just been accepted at Harvard, Princeton, MIT and Stanford, smart kid, glad he takes after his Mum...). So I called my cardiologist who has been after me. For years, he's told me to give up tobacco and take up marijuianna. His point is that the evil (illegal that is) weed might cause cancer, but that is an oncologists concern, but mj, lacking nicotine, does not affect the heart and is not addicting.
He presrcibed Welbutrin, an antidepressent, that supposedly mittigates the craving for tobacco. It also is supposed to increase the sex drive. So far, no tobacco cravings.... soooo, 1 outta 2 ain't bad.
The Wellbutrin has worked so far. Previously when I quit cold turkey, I'd run a 102 fever for a couple of days and be sick as a dog. This time, no sickness while going cold turkey from 3 packs a day.
As one generally packs on weight when quitting, I also went on the Atkins diet at the same time.
The generic for Wellbutrin is Bupropion, which I take 100mg, 3 times a day. It seems to be working.

Beat of luck.
Paul

Very encouraging

I must say, all of you really make a good case to quit smoking. Can't wait to enter a resturant and hear Smoking or Non-Smoking? "Non-Smoking please"...that will be a sweet day my friends! Oh, and my new Bride of Zen pre-amp with all the money I'll be saving...a 25 pack is between $8 and $8.50 here in Ontario Canada.

That will be a savings of approx. $225 a month...$2700 a year!!

Rino

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.