favorite beer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

this thread is for waxing poetic about your favorite ale, lager, stout, porter, malt liquor, or any other beer-like substance.

it's probably been done before.

it'll probably be done again.

nevertheless.

one of my favorites is good old guinness, fresh from the tap. man i love to watch that buttery cascade. everything about this beer is good, even (or especially) the head. some beer, you just tolerate the head. with guinness, you appreciate it.

what is yours?

:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

guinness is fairly distinct. there are only a few other mass-market beers like it out there. plenty of microbrews that are sortof similar though.

for my everyday, at-home beer, my favorite might be

RED HOOK ESB

...red hook also makes a number of other beer types - their IPA is good, and they make a coffee-flavored porter (i think it's a porter) that is really delishus.

:clown:

should i start another thread for liquor? :eek:

gin is my favorite for mixing...haven't tried a lot of the fancy brands, so bombay sapphire is my standard. shaken with a ~8:1 gin:vermouth ratio, splash in a dash of angostura bitters, and 2 big olives. YUMALICIOUS. martini is my drink. and gin-n-tonic in the summertime is one of the great pleasures of life.

straight drinks - single malt scotch is great (Oban is currently on my shelf), johnny walker black is good, but when i go out to the bar sometimes i'll order a bushmills on the rocks.

vodka, i drink if there's none of the above. there's just not enough 'there' there. does provide a nice kick to the head though.

/andrew - is starting to sound like a lush

i don't think bud, busch, miller, et al, really qualify as 'beer' for the purposes of our discussion.

those are alcoholic carbonated drinks that are best served chilled to the point of tastelessness, on an extremely hot day when you don't care what you're drinking tastes like. hell, i'll even drink it from a can if i'm thirsty (or drunk) enough.

but i can't see how anyone would consider these drinks 'good tasting'. they serve a function, but enjoyment of the beverage is not it.

there's a history behind the wateriness of american mass-market beers, which i was told on a microbrewery tour, but i can't remember the story right now. maybe someone else knows it?

:idea: i think it has something to do with marketing during the world wars, when most of the men were off fighting. the target demographic was women. so they created 'lightened' beer.

i might be mistaken.

Re: Belgian beer is best

jackinnj said:
on the square in front of the cathedral in Antwerp you can have a couple beers, moules and frites with mayonaisse -- this is what heaven must be like.

the only beer which I don't like is Bud, as it reminds me of my college dorm room.

Yes, I would probably also put the belgian beers on the top if
hard pressed to choose one country, closely followed by
austrian beer.

As For Bud, I agree with our danish friend, the original Czech
Budweiser is very good. The american Budweiser is best left
on the store shelves, like all other bottled american
beers I have come across (might be good ones I have missed,
though). On the other hand, I have drunk very good micro-
brewery beer at several places in Portland, OR.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.