My Russian Bike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Zen Mod said:

gimme pic of that bike

anatech said:
Hi Magura,

That was a very nice thing for them to do!

In North America, they just walk you to the door these days.

-Chris

It's the same here as in your end, this was a special case. I loved that club :)

Magura :)

Attachments

• myrussianbike.jpg
    myrussianbike.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 805
Zen Mod said:

tnx for pic

I'm sorta fan ....... grew up on bikes like that .......... even now I have nice puch mistral

YGM

I would dare to claim that the old russian bike is better than most of the moder western bikes. I have had a number of highly regarded modern frames and bikes, and they do not even come close to that old russian :)

This exact frame was used by the USSR olympic team some 25 years ago....another reason to love it....it's got a story of it's own :)

YGM

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Magura,
I was going to say that it looked like the bikes I grew up with when I was much younger. It looks strong too. I like it.

-Chris

Edit: The rear wheel looks different. I remember the olympic bikes from back then. Is it solid to break the wind?

anatech said:
Hi Magura,
I was going to say that it looked like the bikes I grew up with when I was much younger. It looks strong too. I like it.

-Chris

Edit: The rear wheel looks different. I remember the olympic bikes from back then. Is it solid to break the wind?

The rear wheel is a socalled disc wheel. Such are still used, but the ones today are made of carbon. This one is made of glass.

They are popular today for time trials and track racing.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Magura,
Man, have we gone OT with this!

This one is made of glass.
So, paved roads only for you? :clown:

I was told that it stopped air from creating extra drag. This seems to be reasonable. Is this true?

I didn't know they were glass. Cool, thanks for that.

I think I have to split this off into "Everything Else" to keep continuity.

-Chris

anatech said:
Hi Magura,
Man, have we gone OT with this!

So, paved roads only for you? :clown:

I was told that it stopped air from creating extra drag. This seems to be reasonable. Is this true?

I didn't know they were glass. Cool, thanks for that.

I think I have to split this off into "Everything Else" to keep continuity.

-Chris

Yeah, not a bad idea to split the thread :)

Yes, only paved roads for this bike, as the 150PSI tire pressure makes you able to tell if an ant is red or black when you ride over it ;)

You can see it's fibre-glass, as it's brownish, carbon is as you know black. This wheel is however very light, and as you figured, it creates very little drag. The same goes for the big rim you see in the front end. If used on a track with no wind, one would use a disc wheel for the front as well, but out on the stretts it's like russian roulette, since you simply get blown off the road by the wind.

Nice. Steel frame obviously? Two fixed gears hang from the bike rack in my living room. Due to a temporary work related condition (fat and old, a malady brought on by an office too close to vending machines) they haven't been ridden in 4 or 5 years. Currently working on that.

rdf said:
Nice. Steel frame obviously? Two fixed gears hang from the bike rack in my living room. Due to a temporary work related condition (fat and old, a malady brought on by an office too close to vending machines) they haven't been ridden in 4 or 5 years. Currently working on that.

Yes, steel frame, and not the comfortable kind :D

Now you correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't fat and old supposed to be kept at bay with....cycling ? ;)

Anyhow, it's nice to see that there are others whom have fallen in love with fixed gear bikes. I often wonder why so few are riding fixed gears though ?

One small detail left out was the 16+ months of 70 hour work weeks. Puts a real dent in your riding style. :wchair:

The couriers in my area have picked up on fixed gear. I recall being introduced to them by Sheldon Brown's site: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/fixed.html . I agree it's the most wonderful way to ride - extremely light, dead silent and when all is right feels as close as you'll ever come to human powered flight. BTW, when you say 'uncomfortable steel' the third bike on the rack is an early Nineties, touch-too-small large tube aluminum Cannondale crit frame. It's like riding a bench vise.

Hmm, you remind me of the fact that I also read about fixed gear bikes first at Sheldon's page, though back then I just considered him a nutcase and went on with my fantazillion gear bikes.....

I learned about the fixies on the track in the club that gave me the bike in the pic. I guess I did like 10 laps, and have been hooked ever since :)

BTW, funny you should mention the old aluminum Cannondale bikes. I did a trip from Denmark to Latvia (approx. 1700km) on a Cannondale R400 back in the early Nineties....I think I have never been that battered ever since :whazzat:

The bike in the above pic is though the least comfortable bike I have ever ridden, admitted, the disc wheel dosn't help the comfort much either ;)

Magura said:
The bike in the above pic is though the least comfortable bike I have ever ridden, admitted, the disc wheel dosn't help the comfort much either ;)

Unless that frame has unusually heavy gauge tubing (which you can tell by measuring the seatpost diameter), it ought not to be the source of harshness. Being made of old "standard" diameter steel tubing it will be relatively flexible compared to a more modern oversize or, worse yet, ovalized tubed frame (of steel or aluminum).

It also looks to have a glued together aluminum fork, which should also be relatively supple (albeit less "springy' than a steel equivalent).

The true source of your rough ride is the wheels, both the fibreglass disk and the deep-dish, radial laced job.

Just install some proper wheels with shallow section rims and 3 cross spokes, which would look better on the old lugged frame, and the ride will improve.

Oh, how modern racing bikes suck to ride.

ps. that super low handlebar probaly isn't helping in the comfort department.

maxro said:
ps. Check the right crank for cracks where the arm meets the spider. Most of those old cold-forged ones cracked due to the sharp corner. If the crack is small you can remove it and/or stop one from appearing with judicious use of a 6mm round file.

Thanks for the advice. This crank is however a USSR crank, they usually snap off somewhere on the middle of the left arm....don't ask me why, as I know the Campagnolo problem is as you describe, and the only visible difference between this one and the campa is the campa stamp :)

maxro said:

Unless that frame has unusually heavy gauge tubing (which you can tell by measuring the seatpost diameter), it ought not to be the source of harshness. Being made of old "standard" diameter steel tubing it will be relatively flexible compared to a more modern oversize or, worse yet, ovalized tubed frame (of steel or aluminum).

It also looks to have a glued together aluminum fork, which should also be relatively supple (albeit less "springy' than a steel equivalent).

The true source of your rough ride is the wheels, both the fibreglass disk and the deep-dish, radial laced job.

Just install some proper wheels with shallow section rims and 3 cross spokes, which would look better on the old lugged frame, and the ride will improve.

Oh, how modern racing bikes suck to ride.

ps. that super low handlebar probaly isn't helping in the comfort department.

It has unusualy heavy gauge tubing, as it's an old competiton track frame :smash:

Having said that, you are sure right that I havn't done much for the comfort in any other aspects. The only difference this bike has compared to the one used back on the track (besides the brakes) is as you noticed the aluminum fork, which makes the ride off the track tolerable.

This bike is jused exclusively for short fast rides (like an hour or so at full throttle), so the handlebar position and the lack of comfort is not really an issue. The benefits are quite fine aerodynamics and a low loss frame....makes for a real fast ride :D

.....and I whole heartedly disagree with you on the modern racing bikes suck to ride issue. I tend to like the harsh ride, as they are very responsive. To be honest, these days I do maximun 150 to 200km, so the harsh ride is not going to really get to me :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.