My Russian Bike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Magura said:
Naah, I'd bolt on some custom made aluminum dropouts, that's sure a better solution, and a lot cheaper too ;)

Thx Magura. Just got back from one. :) Any examples? I've scratched my head a few times about it. The Dale has the usual replaceable derailleur hanger one side and a whacking chunk of bar stock opposite, both with ~1/2" of play. Otherwise calcs done long ago suggest no more than two combination of cog & crank that fit.

rdf said:

Thx Magura. Just got back from one. :) Any examples? I've scratched my head a few times about it. The Dale has the usual replaceable derailleur hanger one side and a whacking chunk of bar stock opposite, both with ~1/2" of play. Otherwise calcs done long ago suggest no more than two combination of cog & crank that fit.

If you send me a drawing of your dropouts, I'll come up with a solution.

The White industries Eno hubs, are IMHO not a good solution. You run out of brake pad adjustment real soon with those, and they're also non-standard in pretty much any way possible, which I find a pain.

Magura :)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
why this silly off topic is moved to off topic , from wherever it was ..... ?

I didn't even remember where it was ........

if mods continue with all this moving and chopping , I suppose that they'll move all the fun .........

:rofl:

anyway - I think that situation is pretty critical - I'm starting gaining in weight ..... probably due to my back troubles , and lack of time for regular cycling :xeye:

driving a car up and down isn't funny as pedaling ..... and I spent entire
childhood , youth and part pf these years , leaned on all sorts of bull horns .....

funny also - these days my nephew is doing restoration of my second bike ( it was given to him several years ago , when he rose enough to sit on him ) .... one important lesson is thought - keep your bike in pristine condition , and even your grand children would ride it ;)

btw - it's old french Pitoud (if I recollect my memory well) , from Lyon .
really nice 10 geared set , Simplex gearing , Weinman breaks .......

my first bike was ancient (even then , in my age of 9) - 3 geared Favorit , from Czechoslovakia

The Peugeot was also French/Simplex/Weimann, from an era before CCM bought the name and started fabb'ing frames from gas pipe. A friend back home says I've grown too old to remember how long I've had it. Late Seventies apparently.
Many thanks for the offer Magura but the threaded Eno is just too easy not to check out first. Don't know how I missed this on Sheldon Brown's site. The rear brakes come off anyway. Re-learning to lace rims makes for a good winter project.
maxro, thanks for the offer as well, I may be taking you up on it.

rdf said:
The Peugeot was also French/Simplex/Weimann, from an era before CCM bought the name and started fabb'ing frames from gas pipe. A friend back home says I've grown too old to remember how long I've had it. Late Seventies apparently.
Many thanks for the offer Magura but the threaded Eno is just too easy not to check out first. Don't know how I missed this on Sheldon Brown's site. The rear brakes come off anyway. Re-learning to lace rims makes for a good winter project.
maxro, thanks for the offer as well, I may be taking you up on it.

Quite a number of those old Peugeot frames, has gotten a second youth lately. They are very popular among the young fixed gear people around here.

I have never had the pleasure of riding one of those old bikes, but rumor has it, that they're actually quite nice.

Today the new bike had it's maiden ride :D

It is pretty much as expected.
Very stiff, very agile, zero comfort.....

Hmm, and it put a smile on my face I had a hard time getting rid of :cool:

Attachments

• pict0342scl.jpg
    pict0342scl.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 61
I didn't had time to read entire thread ...

But I agree ...

Just, I want to state that like Alfred Jarry (be praised) I am a convinced biker ... not a sissy one ... not a sunday bikers .
Last year, I never, I said never missed a day biking to work, and this 3 days a week ... even in winter ...

Manu
;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.