IP issues

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Grey,
And you disagree with us how?

Please re-read what has been written lately.

I have extracted myself from the exact KK issue, I know nothing about it. I suspect it was discussed and there is no point to rehash it. Beyond that, what are we disagreeing about?

On top of that, I am satisfied that Stefan and others practiced due diligence beyond what I would normally expect. Go poke the guys ripping off IP. Leave the average, possibly confused members alone. Our laws are based on English common law. The basis of these laws is seated in intent. Most guys just want to build an interesting amp. There is a world of difference between that and buying hot stereos.

-Chris

Nelson Pass said:

Well, this is the first time I recall reading something in Off Topic,
and so that is why you have seen no comment.
I am happy to repeat our policy again:
(...)

Hello Nelson,
Thanks very much for you reply, and apologies for the bother.

Hello Grey,
Thank you also for your reply.

GRollins said:
You are welcome to feel insulted, hurt, wounded...or not...as the mood strikes you.

Thank you very much! :)

GRollins said:
In law, if you steal something you are a bad guy. If you knowingly receive stolen goods, you are also a bad guy.
This is complicated?

No, it's not complicated. I repeat what I said above: I knowingly bought legitimate goods. You say they are not legitimate, and this worries me, so I thought it best if this issue could be resolved clearly, and not stay buried under the shifting landscape you speak of.

My point was that the issue was unclear, the situation unhappy, and diyers could be and have been very easily misled and then be subjected to rudeness (colourfully written, but it's still rude) on the forum. Which is not fair.

Is that too complicated?

GRollins said:
There is a thread somewhere (lost under some very thick sedimentary strata, no doubt) wherein people who claimed to be familiar with KK's situation and cost structure said that he was making a profit. I believe that KK himself took part and did not deny the figures posted. From this, I derived the idea that he was making a profit.

I'm sorry, but I did not and cannot find this thread.

GRollins said:
This makes me want to bang my head against a wall: No matter how many times I say that KK is wrong if (presumably, see above) he is making a profit off of boards for Alephs, people immediately take all the offense for themselves.
If KK is making a profit both parties are at fault. The seller and the buyers.

OK, so it's presumably, and if.

I understand you entirely.

Rgds, stefan

I once found myself at a party. The hostess chanced to find out that I'm an author. She came, seized me by the arm, and dragged me bodily across the room.
"Look, Grey, an author!" she exclaimed. "Someone you can talk to!"
"Oh," quoth I as she scurried off, "Okay." Too late--she was gone.
The guy didn't say anything, just stood there. Being possessed of penetrating insight, I soon saw that he had no intention of speaking. So I began, "Uh, well...hi. She said you're an author. What have you written?"
"Several things," he said airily, not making eye contact.
"Like what?" I asked, beginning to smell a rat. "I may have read some of your stuff."
It took a while, but I finally managed to drag out of the fellow that he had written one story...which he had promptly put into a desk drawer. In his mind, this allowed him to call himself an author because he had the intention of becoming one someday.
I pondered for quite some time afterwards on the conundrum of what it means to be an author. Is it as simple as writing something and putting it in a drawer? Do you have to send it out? Does it have to be accepted and subsequently published? Gave me something to mull over in my spare time.
Given that writing is on the artistic end of things, there's more room for interpretation of things that you might wish were cut and dried. Out in what you might call the real world, you generally hope to find that things are a little more tightly defined.
Sadly, that's not the case. Charging more than you paid for something isn't a profit because there wasn't the intention to make a profit. I guess accidental profit doesn't count.
It used to be more clearly defined, back when there were such things as accounting standards. Times change. What counts as right and wrong changes.
Silly me. I hadn't read the papers. I hadn't realized that it was the intention that counted. Not the reality.
I think I'll go accidentally rob a bank. I'm sure the judge will see things my way. If not, perhaps I can get the president to commute my sentence.
Sounds like a plan.
But it isn't.

Grey

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Grey,
A small (pizza and beer $) profit is okay. You don't work for free, why would you expect someone else to?

I don't know the details here. I can't say that I really care either. I do know that the KK boards do not constitute a real profit. You would not get a bank loan with that business plan.

I think you made your point, and now we are off splitting hairs. Not only that, but we even agree! What more would you like - no. Don't answer this. I've peered under enough small rocks. You have to allow some give and take. Perhaps we can then look for thieves together?

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.