U.S. Postal Rates

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bad news with a tiny bit of good news.

The Global Priority Mail system seems to have been ended. This allowed you to ship packages outside the U.S. for $5.50 or so (less to Canada). It has been replaced with International Priority Mail "Flat Rate" which is available most everywhere for $11.00. (On my webstore I have to add to this to cover packaging materials). The good news is that this new service allows tracking internationally at lower cost than International Express Mail.

Priority Mail in the U.S. also went up -- by about 10%.

The USPS website was regularly crashing yesterday due to confusion over the changes.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
What a pain this will be...

I went to the Post Office yesterday and there was a
line so long that I guessed and sent some samples.

I'm told that the packages I sent out for .67
if there over 3/4" thick they go for a package rate
of $1.13 for an Oz.

And YES, on the Surface rate USPS.... NO MORE
Everything goes Priority Mail International..

I know I will lose orders do to the high shipping costs.

Also the small Global Priority Mail Envelopes have
also been discontinued

OH... Most Important.... The New ORFD - 1 Flat Rate
boxes are both for Domestic and International Shipping
ARE SMALLER.... And for Shipping International I think you
can only put up to 4 lbs whereas in the US I've put as
much as 48 lbs in one...

Still need to learn more but these changes are not for the
good, at least for me...

Steve @ Apex Jr.

I've been done also. Bought some matched IR Fets from Tech-DIY and got done for double the previous quote (I should have bought on Monday :bawling: ). In fact, the website was consistently coming up with $0 for postage, so I mailed Jack and he's put in a button to use while USPS work out how to stop their website crashing all the time.

It's OK for smaller items, but for bigger stuff it's going to be a killer. Love the way USP(O)S looks after small business in the US...;)

We went through a BIG change in January. Air parcel for international was wiped out, replaced with Xpresspost for heavy/high value items. A shipping price increase of 300-600% in many cases for the sizes/weights I ship. Lost a good deal of my clients that day :(

Went down to the Post Office in town here -- the line is still out the door -- the good news is that we can continue to use the mailers for the old services -- the bad news is that the prices remain out of sight, and there is not going to be much room trying to use first class airmail for small parcels.

Welcome to my world :)

Here in Denmark we have had this insanity going for years by now.....as is it pays off to drive to Germany and pick up whatever you bought there by car if it's anything substantial.

Just the fact that it's adequately complicated here by now to even determine the correct postage, due to a gazillion rules that nobody can remember, makes that system a true pain.

Magura :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.