My New Tig Welder!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It was Christmas morn' two days ago..

My ThermalArc ArcMaster185AC/DC briefcase-sized inverter Tig/Stick arrived UPS. I managed to get the new model on sale for 1899.00 complete with torch, stick holder, hoses, pedal, gas regulator, cups, tungstens, collets, etc.

I'm so happy I just had to tell someone.

First project is going to be a water cooler to run the torch I'll be ordering soon. Part of the reason to diy this is because, well.... that's the spirit. But it's a light duty welder, and the commercial units available are way overbuilt for my needs. Six hundred bucks for something that weighs twice as much as my welder and rated up to a 600amp torch. So much for enjoying the portability of my inverter.

So I'm having fun imagining all the scrapyard jewels to be had for this project. Going 12vdc I can make the whole thing out of parts from one Honda Civic of just about any vintage. That would keep things kosher on the whole too, since this welder is 100 percent of Japanese provenance. (I looked inside. It's built just as impressively as a Honda)

My question for diyaudio...... since 15vdc 5amp SMPS castoff computer wall adapters can be had for the price of a cup of coffee at any local goodwill, can I use two or three of these paralleled to get the amps I need to run a heater blower and small 12v circulation pump?

Thanks for any advice.

I got a lincoln precision tig 185 about a year ago. Its really nice, i love it. Tig welding is hard, i am just starting to get slightly good at welding steel. Never have had a weld break, even if it looks like crap its still strong :D

AC adapters usually run around 0.25-1.00 amps. Laptop computer supplys die when running motors. A 400watt PC power supply would be fine.
Blower motors draw around 5 or 6 amps. Pick up a used (or new) battery charger.

theAnonymous1

I updated my email. Thanks for pointing it out.

ak_47_boy

...aren't car chargers transformer based? That would negate my weight savings. I've got a few out in the garage, I'll have to go check them.

I'm having a suprisingly hard time running down info on building a portable welding cooler. I'm trying to identify a pump, motor, radiator, blower, and reservoir that is sufficient for my 185amp tig, and no more.
I figure if I go 12vdc, most of the R&D for lightweight dependable and efficent systems is already done for me. But it seems that noone has ever done this.

ak_47_boy

Have you had an opportunity to use a water cooled torch? Even at low amperages, it's worth the price of admission. Because the coolant actually cools the cable a much lighter guage wire is used - it's easier to finesse. And the fingertips never get even warm.

Here is a really good deal on what is essentially a Weldcraft torch manufactured for welding-direct...

http://www.welding-direct.com/sr250ampflex.html

With the parts for the cooler I'm looking at, I should come in at just a little over 100 bucks for upgrading to water cooled.
DIY is wonderful!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.