Amp Camp Amp Kit 1.6/1.8

Would the ACA 1.6 have enough power to drive my parallel dual woofers on my open baffles ? The drivers is use are:

- 1 x 5" full range @ 92 dB 6.3 Ohms
- 2 x 15" woofers @ 100 dB 2.94 Ohms Ohms (wired in parallel)

The XO varies from 100 - 225 using miniDSP but I plan to switch that out pending the Pass active XO kit.

keep in mind that

Nelson Pass: Being that the channels are inverting in phase, another way is to simply drive one channel and feed its output through an appropriately large value resistor to the input of the other channel, taking the output off both minus outputs of the ACA.

The result is a bridged amplifier. It will deliver about 15 watts into 8 ohms at clipping, but will not enjoy the distortion cancellation that comes with driving the inputs balanced. The result is still negative phase 2nd harmonic at ordinary levels.

Waiting for the Kit V1.6 I bought a Yamaha WXC-50. I needed a pre-amp a dac and preferably a streamer. The Yamaha does it all. Very convenient. :D
However connected to my Integrated dac/amp the Yamaha doesn't sound as nice as the ultraRendu streamer by far. :( So when the Kit V1.6 really does sound well and loud enough with my 86dB 4Ohm speakers :rolleyes: I'll need to sell the Yamaha and buy a real dac pre-amp.

Will ACA work with Primare PRE30 preamplifier

Ddear friends:

A few questions from a newbie, if I may. :)

I understand each kit can be configured as a fully balanced mono-block with twice the power of the standard ACA, i.e. 2x8W into 8 Ohms per channel.

1. Will the distortion remain at 0.7% at 1 Watt in this case?
  2. Each amp has 4 speaker terminals. In case of a mono-block, what two terminals should be connected to a speaker?
  3. Is my Primare PRE30 balanced preamplifier suitable to work with ACA mono-blocks?

Ddear friends:

A few questions from a newbie, if I may. :)

I understand each kit can be configured as a fully balanced mono-block with twice the power of the standard ACA, i.e. 2x8W into 8 Ohms per channel.

1. Will the distortion remain at 0.7% at 1 Watt in this case?
  2. Each amp has 4 speaker terminals. In case of a mono-block, what two terminals should be connected to a speaker?
  3. Is my Primare PRE30 balanced preamplifier suitable to work with ACA mono-blocks?

Avril,

1) In the XLR mono block build, the ACA V1.6 will put out about 10 watts into 8 ohms (assuming 1% distortion). It will put out nearly 20 watts into 16 ohms.

The distortion at 1 watt with the above build is about 0.04% (distortion cancellation is advantageous here with the balanced design):

aca_15_damp_BAL_8_24.jpg

2) If you look at this post, it illustrates how to connect the speaker terminals in the XLR mono block build.

3) Assuming a standard design, I do not see why you cannot use your Primare Pre30 balanced preamp. This assumes that both pin 1 and pin 3 of the XLR outputs on your Primare Pre30 have a signal and judging from Primare's design document on their website, that appears to be the case.

Best,
Anand.

Last edited:

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
AVril -

1) No. It gets significantly better, 0.04% 1W 8Ohm :D
2) The two blacks.
3) Absolutely!

aca_15_damp_BAL_8_24.jpg

IMG_1841.jpg

EDIT- This post brought to you by somebody who didn't reload their open browser window after going to dinner... :) :) :) (Anand's answers are all perfect)

Last edited:
Thought it was 20 Watts into 4 Ohm?

Measurements are a beautiful thing. I honestly do not know what the output power is at 1% for 4 ohms.

Remember this topic is about using the ACA as a bridged mono block amplifier and as such loudspeaker designs (and especially inefficient ones) with persistently lower impedances (3-4 ohm loads between 100 Hz to 5khz) are probably not recommended especially if higher power is desired.

But for 8 ohms and 16 ohms, see here for details.

Best,
Anand.

Last edited: