Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The diyAudio Store A forum for discussing anything about the products available in The diyAudio Store.

Amp Camp Amp Kit V1.6
Amp Camp Amp Kit V1.6
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th August 2018, 06:00 PM   #81
starkeyg is offline starkeyg
diyAudio Member

Hello,

Probe tips can be sanded / sharpened again. Unless you really need the exact original shape. Rough sandpaper on a solid surface and then finish with a fine one. Not that I have ever slipped.

Regards,
Greg
Old 9th August 2018, 06:02 PM   #82
plsvn is offline plsvn  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkeyg View Post
Not that I have ever slipped.
Old 10th August 2018, 04:18 AM   #83
jfuquay is offline jfuquay
diyAudio Member

First, thanks for making this kit available, providing a nice looking chassis, and rounding up all the parts and organizing them so well. I’ve finished the PCBs, attached them to the heat sinks and assembled the back plate hardware, but not sure if there is a final wiring diagram or photo. I’ve seen the photos on the No. 5075 post on the ACA build thread and really can’t tell exactly how the power terminal is wired. And is there a recommended use of the heavier gauge red and black wires vs. the smaller gauge red and black wires? I ordered the version with the front power switch and plan to use the RCA jacks in a stereo setup.
Jim
Old 11th August 2018, 06:54 AM   #84
Jason is offline Jason  Australia
:)
diyAudio Administrator

Amp Camp Amp Kit V1.6
Thank you very kindly for those words Jim.

At this stage, what you have available is:

* The beautiful V1.5 Build Guide
* This gallery of V1.6 Build Guide photos (under construction, but I post the link just to give you some ideas)

The V1.5 build guide contains 95% of what you need to know. The only significant differences are the power switch wiring in V1.6. It's a new PCB, but all the parts are otherwise the same.

The V1.6 build guide isn't finished yet, because (1) the final V1.6 kit and chassis are hot of the presses with new parts, some only designed or decided in the last month or two, (2) we wanted the V1.6 build guide to have every step and photo exactly the same as the V1.6 kits and chassis so there could be no confusion, and (3) we rely on the grace of great builder-photographers like Jim who do have a life outside of DIY, to make these beautiful guides. It'll be ready in a couple of days and an email will be sent to all kit purchasers the minute it's ready.

So, this is the result of our iterative improvement process. It means that things are always changing for the better, but it means we have a lot of work to do each release to keep the build guides up to date. Pretty much every single photos from the V1.5 build guide has needed to be re-shot, and there's over 100 of them in that guide. I hope that explains the delay.

Last edited by Jason; 11th August 2018 at 07:03 AM.
Old 11th August 2018, 02:03 PM   #85
jfuquay is offline jfuquay
diyAudio Member

Jason,
Thanks. The new photos are great, and the uncertainty forced me to really understand the whole circuit, so I learned a few things as well. Looking forward to the 1.6 build guide.
Old 11th August 2018, 04:26 PM   #86
brownslane is offline brownslane  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Stuart View Post
Jason - a ship doesn't spend 3 months at sea, an oil tanker maybe 'parked up' waiting for the price of crude to rise or refinery capacity to change but not ordinary container ships. Normal time for a container ship across the Atlantic - 10 days max.

There's actually a glut of container ships now and a fierce pricing war going on.

I ship containers from Europe to North America on a regular basis. You are looking at a minimum of 45 days, dock to dock. Often containers arrive and sit for weeks before inspection and trucking. It often takes two months before I see my shipment arrive. Then there is the matter of filling a container......Have you thought how many ACA's would fit into a container? Yes, hundreds of thousands. Perhaps millions. The demand is not of the size that a container is cost effective. At. All.

A note to the DIY team. Stay with the tried and proven delivery systems. And don't play fast and loose with any countries' import laws (I am telling you what you already know). The issue here is NOT the cost of your kits. The issue is with the country of receipt and their massive and punitive import duties. This is NOT a DIY Audio problem guys!

For all you folks in Europe and GB who wish to circumvent the rules. Do not ask the vendor to risk their livelihood to save you money.
Old 11th August 2018, 05:22 PM   #87
rekterx is offline rekterx  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm waiting for the new build guide before I start because: 1) I am a complete newbie and want to leave very little to chance. And 2) I don't really have time to dig into the project for at least another couple of weeks.

BUT .... I do have a question! And while this question has been addressed in other threads that I have gone back and read, I'm still uncertain what the answer is for me. The question concerns PREAMPS!

I already have an Emotiva BasX PT 100 preamp which lists a maximum analog output of 4 VRMS. Is this too high for the ACA? Or can I use this preamp with some restraint while I find another option, like build a B1?
Old 12th August 2018, 02:54 AM   #88
nycavsr2000 is offline nycavsr2000  United States
diyAudio Member

Amp Camp Amp Kit V1.6
rekterx,

You should hopefully be fine. But there are some details you need to consider.

With the ACA 1.6 version overall gain is 10dB. Which means for 7-8 watts max RMS, you will need about 2.53V RMS (the input sensitivity) to reach that power output. You have 4V RMS and a variable volume control (since the Emotiva unit you mentioned is a combo preamp/dac/etc...). This is good.

What is important to find out is the sensitivity of your speakers since 8 watts may or may not be enough depending on your listening habits, listening distance/size of listening room etc...if that is the case, an option is to build 2 ACA’s and use them as monoblocks for 15 watts/8 ohms. The overall gain is still the same in this build, ie 10dB.

Building the B1 pre to go with the ACA wouldn’t be something I would recommend to everyone since it has no gain whatsoever. It might work with a system using very efficient speakers in a small room (ie > 95 dB). And of course your listening habits play a part too. If you have a reasonably efficient speaker but you turn up the volume all the way and it is still quiet sounding then you need more gain. A preamp of about 6-15 dB would work well with the ACA since the overall gain of the “system” is then about 15-26 dB which most audiophiles are used to.

Understanding the differences between gain and power output vexes many audiophiles for some reason but when you break it down into applications of Ohm’s law and the power equation, it is actually straight forward.

Best,
Anand.
Old 12th August 2018, 03:13 AM   #89
RafaPolit is online now RafaPolit  Ecuador
diyAudio Member

Great post, thanks Anand.

In that front, I own a NuPrime DAC-10 which can configure it unbalanced RCA outputs to put either 2V (the default, called Low) or 4V (called 2X). Would it be worth it to feed the ACA with the 2X setting rather than the normal 2V? Would that have some negative effect on the sound? (My simulator starts clipping after about 2V, no idea if that is true in the 'real amp').

Thanks in advance,
Rafa.
Old 12th August 2018, 05:59 AM   #90
nycavsr2000 is offline nycavsr2000  United States
diyAudio Member

Amp Camp Amp Kit V1.6
Rafa,

Do you have a preamp in between or does the dac have a variable volume control?

With the 4V RMS output you’ll have some “play” since invariably there will be some recordings that are “quieter”, ie, not at 0dbFs.

I don’t see a problem with the 4V RMS output as long as you are able to adjust volume. And the output impedance is plenty low at < 100 ohms which is great as well.

Best,
Anand.

Amp Camp Amp Kit V1.6Hide this!Advertise here!