Super Regulator

It may be at LT, but they're quite expensive.
I was referring to the T.I. version of the LM329DZ/NOPB soon to be discoed by them.

UPDATE: This evening I just won an eBay auction for 140 pcs. of LM329DZ made by National Semiconductor. These were obviously made before T.I.'s buyout of National and their change over to all that lead-free garbage.
Now, I have a lifetime supply of LM329s to build as many Jung/Didden Super Regulator as I want.:D

Dear Jan,
From what i understand from your articles, is it ok for connection from this super reg to load?!
Is there difference between joint Pos return and Neg return together and route to the load and the way that descibe as picture (joint at GND of load)?!

Attachments

• EX.jpg
    EX.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 664
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
This looks perfectly OK. The point to remember is, that the point where you have the cleanest power is where the sense lines are connected to. The word 'sense' is quite literally: that is where the reg senses the voltage and regulates it.
By using remote sense you also correct for voltage drop due to R and L of the power connecting wires. This doesn't work well for very high frequencies due to the L, so that is why you need the little filter in the sense line, but for (high above) audio it is fine.

Jan

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Thanks Jan for your reply,

The design of this super reg that look like a universal design for many purpose more than only for split supply. Can i joint POS return and NEG return at one point and route to GND of load? It will help me saving one wire.

It will save you one wire but the pos reg will try to compensate for voltage drop due to the neg return current and vice versa. Keeping the returns separate is crucial for best performance.

Read my previous post again carefully ;-)

Jan

The low noise reference voltage LM329DZ has already EOL, so what can be replaced for this job?!
If i remember correctly, the power supply of a hi-end product which used AD586 to do same work. Plaese note that power supply have similar structure with your supperreg power supply. But the cost of AD586 is too high, more ten $ per each, it's terrible!

Joined 2011
Paid Member
The low noise reference voltage LM329DZ has already EOL, so what can be replaced for this job?!
If i remember correctly, the power supply of a hi-end product which used AD586 to do same work. Plaese note that power supply have similar structure with your supperreg power supply. But the cost of AD586 is too high, more ten $ per each, it's terrible!

Have you had a chance to read post #1469 in this thread? There were numerous follow-on comments in subsequent posts.

4 green LEDs will work quite well for a 15 volt output.
pot the LEDSin silicon if you want temperature stability, watch out to keep the LED’s leads out of the silicon, (some silicons can be mildly conductive even when dry)
I'm afraid that temperature stability is not achieved by putting the LED's in silicone. The only thing you will get a slower response due to varying temperature.