Super Regulator

Can anyone please help me understand what I am doing wrong?
Not too sure, but in my experience lead-free solder is not very forgiving.
As RickRay said, 300-350 C is the right range, but I would experiment a bit first on some perfboard to find the sweet spot if you haven't used that particular flavour of solder before. I use an FX-888 as well - it's not a power house but it works well enough; 1mm to 1.5 mm chisel tip does nearly everything except some smaller SMD bits.

You could test regulator stability / instability yourself, rather than relying on 29 year old magazine articles. Articles which use obsolete, out of production capacitors.
Well, I do not have the knowledge or capability to test for stability. In fact I'm counting on threads like this to get that info, where more knowledgeable people might come with newer findinds. New opamps, new caps, how do they affect other variables?
When Sulzer made his regulator, which I wonder if he didn't take from Kaneda, there were almost none fast opamps, and the NE5534 came out as the best. Someone just said the 5534 might measure poorly but sounds very good on the regulator.
I simulated a small opamp like the OP27 on the SR and it simmed out very good. Better than the OPA627. But there are no comments on people trying them.

OK, I have a radio that is AM/FM. I may find a new use for it.

Jackinnj, if I provide the manufacturer model files for the opamps I found interesting for the SR, can you trace the curves you got for the OPA1641?

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/super-regulator.247281/post-7279332

Or someone else could? It seems like a very important information to know which chips can be used before buying them.

I currently have three regulators that work with OPA1641, one is for 5V(with 1V ref.) and the other two are +/-14V. It is true that they are not serial, but shunt, but part of the scheme up to pin 6 of the opa1641 is the same as in the serial regulator and I tested the OPA1641 in serial and it works great. I am currently using the ADA4610 in the series reg.

I am working in two projects at the same time: a phono preamp and the superregulator.

What I did was simulate several geometries for the RIAA pre, and then trying different opamps. On the SR I didn't mess with the geometry, except for that experiment of replacing reference and zener with green LEDs. But on it I also tried infinite opamps, old and new.

Except for a few exceptions that work on both projects, like the LT1792 (expensive and hard to find) or the OP27 (old but still alive and well), bipolar opamps seem to work better (or sim better) with the super regulator; and FET opamps seem to do better with the phono preamp. At least on the things I simulated. If someone is interested I can list them.

The OPA1611 simulates better results than the OPA1641, and they are both affordable. The question about oscillations with both still remains.

OK, here's the SR impedance sim, using the OPA1611, which had given the best/lower impedance results until now. As you can see there's a 1Ohm peak @ 10MHz, which might be considered small, and then goes and stays around .53Ohms until 250MHz.

About the phono preamps I'm modifiying two kits I bought from AE, both two stages. One follows an Erno Borbely design from the '90s, which combines a passive first stage and an active second stage. The other is a passive eq design, two stages too, based on a Walt Jung design. The first one uses 4 single opamps, the second two dual opamps.

Attachments

• simpler_regulator-jung.OPA1611.psrr.asc
    5.1 KB · Views: 66
  • EB_Hans Marcel_RIAA_1792.THD.asc
    6.6 KB · Views: 49
  • SR OPA1611 Impedance 250MHz.jpg
    SR OPA1611 Impedance 250MHz.jpg
    639.8 KB · Views: 95
@grunf: Can you compare OPA1641 to ADA4610 for the use in the Super Regulator? OPA1641 has a lower noise (aside from a wider power supply range), but a lower gain bandwidth. Which factors are more important?
So far I have not compared ADA4610 and OPA1641, but with ADA4610 I had much better results than with NE5534, AD825 and AD817.
NE5534 and AD817 have the disadvantage that they are bipolar op amp and AD825 due to higher noise.
I'll be comparing the OPA1641 with the ADA4610 in a Walt Jung shunt regulator soon so I'm interested in the result as well.

OK, here's the SR impedance sim, using the OPA1611, which had given the best/lower impedance results until now. As you can see there's a 1Ohm peak @ 10MHz, which might be considered small, and then goes and stays around .53Ohms until 250MHz.

About the phono preamps I'm modifiying two kits I bought from AE, both two stages. One follows an Erno Borbely design from the '90s, which combines a passive first stage and an active second stage. The other is a passive eq design, two stages too, based on a Walt Jung design. The first one uses 4 single opamps, the second two dual opamps.
Just for comparison, I am attaching my two simulations, both regulators work in my audio system, serial in the amplifier and shunt in the DAC. I've mentioned both in posts before.

Attachments

• shunt reg..png
    shunt reg..png
    19.5 KB · Views: 85
  • ser. reg..png
    ser. reg..png
    19.3 KB · Views: 84
It will work with the proper adjustment of the resistor value in the voltage divider. However, the important characteristics of voltage referencers, such as noise and dynamic impedance, which may be already worse, would add up. So the performance may not be at the same level. This may or may not matter for your application.

Reactions: 1 user
I think I might need a little help here.

So I am building the positive super reg first - and I'm seeing oscillation under load. No oscillation with no load.

Some details of the build:

Aiming for 12V
Used LM4040diz-10 for the reference diode
BC556BTA
D2 zener is 6V8
I used the table quoted just a few posts above to set R6 at 100R, R7=1k
I also was mindful of the PDF from Jan Didden to make sure enough current flows through the LM4040, so I decreased R5 to 1k, (12V target -10V reference =2V, and 2mA then needs 1k).

I had some OP1611AIDR - and have installed that (and maybe this is my error) - although as posted a few posts above, this "should" work.

Anyway, power is from a bench supply set at 20V, target voltage with load or no load is just at 12v, so great stuff. But loaded with 51R resistor, 270mA I see oscillation at ~5mHz.

What would you gurus suggest to tackle this first? I'm not awash with opamps, but have some LM6171, OP27, NE5534, AD820

Fran

Attachments

• IMG_20230305_135819-01.jpeg
    IMG_20230305_135819-01.jpeg
    69.3 KB · Views: 46