Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The diyAudio Store A forum for discussing anything about the products available in The diyAudio Store.

Power Supply Soft Start Board (V3)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th March 2018, 08:04 PM   #271
kpsthakur is offline kpsthakur  India
diyAudio Member

Now that the F5's are in place, I could focus on building a Soft Start module Toecutter V3 design...using stock values, worked first time..thanks 6L6 for the visual details...I was using CL60's until now...no problems yet...I played the amp for like whole day (Pretty loud continuously)...the CL60's wouldn't get hot at all on a 600VA teddy. Where I live, there are power issues, voltage fluctuates, power outages etc...the local power generators kicks in..in about 10 - 20 secs, CL60's were able to bear this abuse and kept the teddy sane. Now this soft start circuit is simple and works fine...I tried testing it by powering up and down and then up almost instantaneously, I realised the relay gets engaged pretty fast...I assume ~200ms, but disengages slow.... takes close to a second...any power off and on cycle before 1 sec, results in blowing of fuse/trips my circuit breaker...I went through all the pages in this forum, couldn't find anything related to fast discharge of the the circuit...for relay to disengage faster..I think AndrewT might be suggesting the aux transformer based solution for this reason only...but it would interesting to understand how the discharge mechanism could be controlled.
Old 30th March 2018, 08:55 PM   #272
diyAudio Member

Sorry forgot to check if its normal for 220 ohm 3W & LED resistor 2.2K to run hot..they both reach around 60 degrees C in the open, may run hotter in cabinet...all other parts feel ambient
Old 31st March 2018, 02:02 PM   #273
BigE is offline BigE  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpsthakur View Post
Sorry forgot to check if its normal for 220 ohm 3W & LED resistor 2.2K to run hot..they both reach around 60 degrees C in the open, may run hotter in cabinet...all other parts feel ambient
You can create a second circuit that is a start delay after power is applied. A second relay on the input power controlled by a simple timer set to a long enough duration to allow the t hermistors to cool and become functional again.
Old 3rd April 2018, 06:53 PM   #274
hcpower is offline hcpower  Denmark
diyAudio Member

I want to build this one...

Witch relay do you use for the this v3 softstart?

The part #G5LA-14-CF-DC24 is not available at Mouser.

And are relay K1.1 and K1.2 as shown on the schematic identical?

Thanks
Old 4th April 2018, 02:59 AM   #275
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
You can create a second circuit that is a start delay after power is applied. A second relay on the input power controlled by a simple timer set to a long enough duration to allow the t hermistors to cool and become functional again.

These are not thermistors, but circuit resistors...they get hot in due course of operation...my question was if it was normal for these to get hot...assume they could be..as they are 3W ones, but my suspect is the LED resistor...ideally it should not...
Old 4th April 2018, 03:03 AM   #276
diyAudio Member

Default Power Supply Soft Start Board (V3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcpower View Post
I want to build this one...

Witch relay do you use for the this v3 softstart?

The part #G5LA-14-CF-DC24 is not available at Mouser.

And are relay K1.1 and K1.2 as shown on the schematic identical?

Thanks

Where I live, i am able to find in numerous clones of this relay...all we need is 24V 10A ones..as per the schematic, K1.1 & K1.2 are just 2 parts of one single relay only.
Old 12th April 2018, 01:29 AM   #277
mrmike186 is offline mrmike186
diyAudio Member

Does it make any difference how many channels the amp has? I'm looking to add a soft start board to an Adcom gfa 5503 3 channel amp.
Old 15th April 2018, 08:14 PM   #278
ByronInPortland is offline ByronInPortland  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Soft Start stopped working

The amplifier with soft start was working great for a few years. Recently it started showing the following symptoms:
  • I'm using the external switch at PWR_SW1 and PWR_SW2. When I flip that switch, I don't hear a "click" anymore.
  • Voltage OUT of the transformer is low, and clipped.
  • The 4 big 180 ohm resisters get super hot.
  • The LED does not light up.
  • whole amplifier works fine when I bypass the soft start.
So, it seems that the relay is not switching the big resistors out of the circuit. but what to replace first? The relay? The timing cap? rectifiers? All components look fine. Are there tests I can run to see what is failing?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg diyAudio SoftStart.jpg (197.1 KB, 94 views)
Old 15th April 2018, 08:53 PM   #279
TonyTecson is offline TonyTecson  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

you can check for shorted zener diode first..
Old 16th April 2018, 06:38 AM   #280
coolnose is offline coolnose  Europe
diyAudio Member

On my build the relay wouldn't engage depending on the size of C9, any value under 0.33uF did not work for me on 240V mains.

Power Supply Soft Start Board (V3)Hide this!Advertise here!