Speaker Turn On Delay and DC Protector Board Set (V3)

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Transistors with "kinked leads" can mean one of two things: either spread out to give wider spacing, or a small "wiggle" in each lead which keeps the lead from falling straight through the holes in the board.
If you do a Google images search for TO-92-3 you will see what I mean.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm interested in buying 2 Speaker protection boards without the Soft Start board, is that possible?

When will they be back in stock?

When will anything be back in stock !! :)

I'm interested to know why you didn't use a single DPDT relay rathere than the 2 SPDT relays?

Last edited:
In the V2 thread, a trafo of 10-15VA was recommended. A popular choice looks to be an Antek AN-0124 (2x24V): AN-0124 - 10VA 24V Transformer - AnTek Products Corp In the BOM for the V3 build, it has the option of (for relays) 12VDC for for 34VAC OR, 5VDC for 12VAC. I saw that in the V2 build, people were using the 12VDC relays with this Antek. Is the 5VDC relay adequate or should I bump it to the 12VDC? Any harm in using the higher rated relay?

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
I'm interested in buying 2 Speaker protection boards without the Soft Start board, is that possible?

I'm interested to know why you didn't use a single DPDT relay rathere than the 2 SPDT relays?

Back in stock.

I'll see if Jojo can comment on the relay question

In the V2 thread, a trafo of 10-15VA was recommended. A popular choice looks to be an Antek AN-0124 (2x24V): AN-0124 - 10VA 24V Transformer - AnTek Products Corp In the BOM for the V3 build, it has the option of (for relays) 12VDC for for 34VAC OR, 5VDC for 12VAC. I saw that in the V2 build, people were using the 12VDC relays with this Antek. Is the 5VDC relay adequate or should I bump it to the 12VDC? Any harm in using the higher rated relay?

With that transformer, you should use two 12VDC relays.

I don't see any reference in the BOM about using 5VDC relays, only 12VDC or 24VDC, depending on the transformer used.

No special reason in particular, it's just that these types of SPDT relays are widely available around the world, the choice for DPDT vs SPDT was based on worldwide availability so that anyone, anywhere can build and use it.

:)

I'll be using a 30 VAC transformer for the F5T. Does the speaker protection circuit need any changes/special parts selected for the higher rail voltage?

Is there a manifest on digikey or elsewhere that we can use to buy all the necessary parts?

Thanks.

I'll be using a 30 VAC transformer for the F5T. Does the speaker protection circuit need any changes/special parts selected for the higher rail voltage?

Is there a manifest on digikey or elsewhere that we can use to buy all the necessary parts?

Thanks.

I would suggest the use of a separate small transformer to power the speaker protection boards. 30VAC is too much for 12V relays and not enough for 24V relays.