Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The diyAudio Store A forum for discussing anything about the products available in The diyAudio Store.

V3 Universal Power Supply Circuit Board
V3 Universal Power Supply Circuit Board
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th January 2018, 02:07 PM   #361
Todd Mills is offline Todd Mills  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
a dual 25Vac transformer will generate ~37Vdc on a lower bias ClassAB amplifier.
Expect a couple of volts less into a Full ClassA amplifier.
That gets your caps down to ~+35Vdc.
Then add on 10% for max mains tolerance and your 40Vdc is still not exceeded.

But what if the amplifier is disconnected? How high will your 25Vac transformer take the PSU when loading is open circuit?
Thank you AndrewT

I have the diyAudio Store Soft start and speaker delay boards that will be installed to cover turn on inrush. I will grab 16 of the 33000mf 40volt Mundorfs from Partsconnexion. I will also see what bridge rectifiers they have that may work as well.

Todd
Old 28th January 2018, 01:08 PM   #362
diyAudio Member

Good Day

The recommended rectifier diodes will not be in stock at Mouser or Digikey until June/July- maybe. Would the following be a suitable replacement? Digi-key Part number
VS-60CPU02-N3GI-ND.

Thank you
Old 6th February 2018, 09:32 PM   #363
diyAudio Member

I am almost ready to solder up my PS boards for the F5 Turbo. I want to make sure I am doing things correctly. I am building a full dual mono stereo amp in a Deluxe 5U chassis.
I have two 1000VA 24v secondary Plitron transformers. I have two universal PS boards with 16 Mundorf caps along with a set of DIY speaker protect/soft start for each channel. Do I fully populate both PS boards(all resistors) including all of the the rectifier boards? The idea being one Universal PS board per channel.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I want to do this correct the first time out.
Thanks
Old 7th February 2018, 08:56 AM   #364
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
R.I.P.

Wire up your transformer first.
Power it up via a Mains Bulb Tester (MBT). Check the voltages are correct.

Then add on the bridge rectifier. Power up via MBT. Check voltages.

Add on the Smoothing Capacitors. Power up via MBT. Check voltages.
Once you have capacitors fitted you must discharge them (every time) using a resistor after testing.

Add on one channel of amplifier. Check that the VR are set to draw minimum output current. Power on via MBT. Check voltages.

Last edited by AndrewT; 7th February 2018 at 09:02 AM.
Old 7th February 2018, 06:49 PM   #365
diyAudio Member

Hi AndrewT

At this point, I am more concerned that I am building the correct version of the power supplies for the intended purpose. Do I need all 4 rectifiers per board? Or would it be better to purchase two bridges and not use the rectifiers at all?

Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 07:58 AM   #366
coolnose is online now coolnose  Europe
diyAudio Member

Todd,

as I read it you got yourself some premium caps for the PSU, so I would populate the diodes on the PSU board if I was you.

You can also skip that and use 2 simple diode bridges as in one of the build guides.

Both will work.

Generally speaking I think it might be better to ask amp specific question in the corresponding amp thread, you'll have hundreds of people having build one for the F5T ...

Please confirm you have dual secondaries on your piltorns (2 x 24V) and not 24V as you mentionned....

Cheers,

Max
Old 8th February 2018, 11:32 AM   #367
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the advice.

I do have dual secondaries. I also want to confirm my selection of rectifier diodes as the 863-MBR20200CTG are 20A 200V where as 6L6 indicates that we should use a 30A 200V minimum. Therefore I have got my sights on the following two alternatives and am wondering which would be the best to use. VS-60CPU02-N3GI-ND or DSSK-02A-ND. Once I get the PS squared away, I will ask questions in the amp forum as I do have a few.

Todd
Old 8th February 2018, 12:58 PM   #368
coolnose is online now coolnose  Europe
diyAudio Member

Todd,

any diode will work, if 6L6 insists on 30A then pls follow his advice. I suppose most of the F5T builders just order more of the MUR3020 (for Turbo V2 /V3) which is a 30A Diode...

The 2 you mentionned will work.

https://www.mouser.com/ds/2/427/vs-mur3020w-87514.pdf

Feel free to pay more for faster/"better" ... but I doubt you will have any benefit.

The diode discussion goes on for years, you should find some info here on the forum using the search function.

Cheers,

Max

Last edited by coolnose; 8th February 2018 at 01:03 PM.
Old 8th February 2018, 06:34 PM   #369
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the advice.
I have purchased 16 of the MUR3020 diodes that you recommend. I don't need to go looking for better/faster. That pretty much takes care of the power supplies.

Todd
Old 17th February 2018, 11:12 PM   #370
diyAudio Member

Power supplies for both channels are now completed. Thanks for the advice.

Todd
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0686.jpg (1,009.7 KB, 117 views)

V3 Universal Power Supply Circuit BoardHide this!Advertise here!