Chassis Discussion

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Ok, the full process for digital print is...

1. Mine the bauxite, smelt it into aluminum, extrude it into the appropriate form factor
2. Anodize the raw aluminum (either silver or black, other colors are possible at greater expense)
3. Apply metal primer to the anodized aluminum so the printing won't come off
4. Print the text/image in clear first, which acts as a base. You won't ever see it.
5. If the panel is not white, print the text/image in white first so the color has something to mask
6. Print the text/image in color. The color is the top and final layer.

So to answer your question, no the lettering is not clear coated.

Jason

I ordered two 4U Dissipante chassis and apparently too many extras, I had many items going in and out of my cart, I later found I didn't put two Dissipante Substitution: "Deluxe" Rear Panels back in my cart :mad: so later I bought two subs. I sent several emails, still no replies, need to know about this.

Thanks,
Mad

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Don't worry we have all the tickets you have opened, and your two orders which are AOK. We normally respond to emails within 24-48 hours, Monday to Friday.

For issues and questions that require liaising with Hifi2000, Hifi2000 has access to our helpdesk ticketing system and once made aware of a ticket usually also fall in the 24-48 hours kind of range, but sometimes longer as things have to be discussed across the globe and sometimes there is a bit of to and fro discussing orders or technical details. So the moral there is don't fret - we'll get around to replying eventually :)

Don't expect replies on the weekend (right now it's 8AM Sunday with me here in Melbourne, 5AM for Elena in Singapore, and 12 midnight Saturday night in Italy), but you never know... :)

I've merged all your tickets, and now you've placed your order it's best if we keep all communications in one place which is inside our ticketing helpdesk system, which keeps all involved parties up to date on everything discussed. I'll reply there and thank you for your order!

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Administrator
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hi,

Will these be coming back in stock soon?

It appears you only have the ones with steel top and bottom plates in stock.

Regards,
Matt

The Dissipante 4U x 400mm with aluminum top and bottom are already available. However, if you are looking for the the version with the 4mm front panel and the aluminium covers, this is not available for purchase via the diyAudio store. Please email contact@diyaudioctore.com with your delivery address and a phone number and we will send you an estimate. Thanks.

Hi -- I previously boughta 3U/300 Pesante from the the DIY Audio Store, but it's not a good fit for the build I purchased it for. I'd like to repurpose it as a Disspante for a power amplifier. Do the HiFi2000 300x40x120 heatsinks purchased individually fit the stock Pesante? I believe they do, but I just wanted to confirm before placing an order.

Thank you!

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Unfortunately no, all the covers (top, bottom, rear) are different (smaller on the Dissipante) due to the heatsinks. Also note that aluminum and steel cover versions of any chassis, are incompatible with each other (they use different attachment mechanisms, alu panels are flat, steel have bent flanges).

Deluxe 4U Aluminum Chassis with Black Front Panel - Tapped M3 holes?

Does the Black 10mm front panel on the Deluxe 4U Aluminum Chassis have the 9 blind M3 pre-tapped mounting holes, same as the Silver?

I'm building an M2x to supplement my F5. I used the Deluxe 4U in Silver for the F5 and it's a wonderful chassis. Would like the M2x in black, but don't want to have to drill and tap the M3 holes.

Thanks in advance for clarifying.

Wil

Joined 2000
Paid Member
That's a good question and the answer is no, not as far as I'm aware. Those front panels are a big chunk of expensive aluminum, and the black sells less than the silver, Hifi2000 makes them in batches with anodization after the machining (using up their storage space), and we perceived the demand for black+holes to be much less than people who really wanted a black panel (which is otherwise stock from their main stock of panels). So, to make life easy on them for production and storage of these big expensive items, we never twisted their arm to make those holes in the black front panels (which would prevent those panels from being sold to their other customers). That's the history. Similarly, the 5U steel was designed but never got off the ground for the similar reasons - trying to be economical with their storage resources on slow moving items (whether this evaluation was true or false or in good economic sense is another matter).

Moving forward, it's close to a time to re-assess things. We're about to introduce a "potentiometer slot" on the inside of *all* front panels, which is a major feature, and so it would be a good time to resolve the issue you raise at the same time.

Short version: Not currently.

Last edited:
Thanks, Jason, for the quick response and the background on the panels. I will likely go with the silver panel, which looks great, works great and gets rid of the hassle of drilling and tapping.

The quality of these chassis is superb and I greatly appreciate diyAudio's efforts to bring us these unique customized products.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
It is always so nice to read these kinds of comments from fellow DIYers who understand what we're trying to do here for the community in general. It's a small but passionate community, there's no get rich quick schemes, it's all hard work but we're making progress day by day and month by month to increase our offering and improve our systems. Looking forward to taking a break from the store very soon in order to focus on migrating the forum to XenForo though!