Chassis Discussion

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Hi, I have a 2u slimline with all aluminum panels. I originally planned to use it as an amplifier and had holes cut for that purpose, but now want to use it as a preamp. Is it possible to get a replacement top and rear panel? Also, it looks like I am missing some of the screws and nuts, are they available?

Thanks

Administrator
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hello,

I need the clearance between the top of the milled handle and top of 10mm front panel of the Dissipante 4U, I don't see any measurements of the milled handles. Wondering if there is room for lettering there and if so, to be able to center it vertically.

Thanks,
Mad

Clearance will be 22mm and yes, there would be enough space for lettering. Please contact the Support desk via email to contact@diyaudiostore.com if you have further questions. Thanks.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Hello All,
Does anyone know what size thread and screw length etc the screws are that attach the chassis mounting brackets to the heatsink?

Thanks!

046EC9AC-03F3-4FAB-82F1-77CA5FD11794.jpeg

Administrator
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Last edited by a moderator:
questions?

I've sent several emails to contact@diyaudiostore.com. It's kind of hard to get a project finished with some needed data, when it can't be found.

The Dissipante 4U X 400 chassis drawing shows the base plate at 345 mm the store says its 360mm? Can the plate be moved right up to the front panel or rear panel?

What is meant by slight scratching while drilling and tapping holes? This interior or exterior?

The 4U heat sinks are 165mm high?

Does hifi2000 tap imperial threads?

I'm pretty sure I'll have more ?

Mad

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
The front and rear plates do mount right against the heatsinks. (actually, they all do, as everything front/rear, top/bottom all mount into the brackets which are flush against the heatsinks.

There is sometimes some small toolmarks on the heatsink near the holes, and almost always some inconsistent anodizing where the liquid drips. It's all interior and all cosmetic.

One "Rack Unit" of height (1U) is 1.75" / 44.45mm, so 4U comes out to 177mm, though reality has it a few mm shorter. The 165mm measurement you refer to is the useable interior dimension between the brackets.

The UMS holes are all M3.

This kit has all the hardware for the deluxe back panel and UMS;

Back panel parts kit plus PCB / Transistor / Diode mounting parts kit – diyAudio Store

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The guide is here, sadly a majority of the photos were lost in a server update... I need to see if I still have them locally and get that fixed.

Illustrated guide to the 4U deluxe Chassis

Last edited:
I'm looking at the Dissipante 4U X 400 chassis not the deluxe. Isn't the 177mm the height of the 4mm front panel? I will order the custom deluxe rear panel, I have all the parts for it. I can't use the UMS heat sinks, I need the standard heat sinks drilled and tapped, this is why I wanted an accurate dimension on the heat sinks. The base plate is not 400 mm's long so where does it mount from front to back panel?

Thanks,
Mad

Administrator
Joined 2010
Paid Member
I'm looking at the Dissipante 4U X 400 chassis not the deluxe. Isn't the 177mm the height of the 4mm front panel? I will order the custom deluxe rear panel, I have all the parts for it. I can't use the UMS heat sinks, I need the standard heat sinks drilled and tapped, this is why I wanted an accurate dimension on the heat sinks. The base plate is not 400 mm's long so where does it mount from front to back panel?

Thanks,
Mad

Hi MadInventor. Kindly check your inbox. Please note that queries sent to the Customer Support Desk regarding chassis are relayed onto Hifi2000, so please allow a few days for a reply to get to you. Thanks.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Can the plate be moved right up to the front panel or rear panel?

The plate attaches to the heatsink brackets, so no it can't be moved unless you DIY, in which case yes you can move anything.

What is meant by slight scratching while drilling and tapping holes? This interior or exterior?

Depends where you read it. The exterior is never scratched. The interior of heatsinks are a working surface, and usually has some anodization marks from where it was hung in the chemical bath.

The 4U heat sinks are 165mm high?

Yes.

Does hifi2000 tap imperial threads?

No.

I'm looking at the Dissipante 4U X 400 chassis not the deluxe. Isn't the 177mm the height of the 4mm front panel?

There is a PDF diagram and dimension matrix on the sales page of each chassis. The Dissipante 4U, 4mm front panels are 176mm high.

The base plate is not 400 mm's long so where does it mount from front to back panel?

The baseplate mounts on the heatsink rails. See here: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1006/5046/products/DSC_0646_1024x1024.png

What shade of white is used most for black panels, pure #ffffff or an off-white?

What kind of panels? What kind of printing (silkscreen, digital printing)?

Does the clear coat take some of the edge off of pure white?

There is no clear coat.

Wondering about going with a champagne tint

In what way?

Jason,

Thanks, for all the answers!

What kind of panels? What kind of printing (silkscreen, digital printing)?

I don't see silk screening as an option in the store. Front and rear panels. When I place my order can I just state the RGB color for each panel? Can they print top cover?

There is no clear coat.

What about this.

Thanks again,
Mad

Joined 2000
Paid Member
I don't see silk screening as an option in the store. Front and rear panels. When I place my order can I just state the RGB color for each panel? Can they print top cover?

Ok so you're talking about digital printing?

If so, they can use any color you like, just express it as best you can. A web / hex / RGB color is designed for screens not printing (which uses CMYK, generally), and the whole concept of color reproduction is one that requires education to really understand (screen/print/gamut/flat/gloss/RGB/CMYK). Pantone tries to resolve this, but just check out how complicated and varied their system for matching web colors to print colors is and even they change formulas depending on changing ink technology as time goes on. If you are trying to match a color on your screen, it will never look exactly the same.

But enough of me waffling. To cut a long story short - yes, if you choose to do digital printing then you can choose any color you want. Just specify it however you like and Hifi2000 will try to match it as best they can.

Yes, they can print top cover.

What about this.

I'm sorry that link doesn't work for me, the post ID doesn't appear to belong to that thread ID either. Try just copying the link from the post number in the top right of the post.

Yes, I know all about screen to print colors, I used Zsoft graphics software a hundred years ago, most never probably heard of it. The link works for me, post #192, here's what it says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadInventor View Post
Hello,

When your supplier prints to an anodized panel do they clear coat the lettering?

Thanks,
MI

Yes, our manufacturing supplier applies a special primer to make sure the printing does not come off, then a layer of transparent paint. After that, another layer of either white or black paint is applied.

helpdesk

Joined 2000
Paid Member
The link works for me, post #192

Got it, thanks for the post number. This old forum and its SEO plugin do strange things to URLs, if you have changed your posts-per-page setting, links never work unless you copy direct from that number

Yes, our manufacturing supplier applies a special primer to make sure the printing does not come off, then a layer of transparent paint. After that, another layer of either white or black paint is applied.

In that case I'm certainly wrong about there being no clear used and I do apologize for that. I have some digital-printed-white on anodized-black samples here with me and if there is clear on the panel it's very subtle to the point of not being able to distinguish it from a panel without it.

I've written Hifi2000 to clarify the full process used, and we'll document it on the store sales detail page for the digital printing.