Chassis Discussion

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Jason & Co.:

I recently received a Deluxe 4U chassis for an F6 build and have discovered that the M3 holes in the heatsinks were not well threaded. I haven't used taps before but think I understand what needs to be done to clean the holes up. However, before purchasing any M3 bottom taps I would like to make sure I'm buying the right tap.

Can you confirm that the M3 holes in the heatsinks are M3x0.5? I've also seen M3x0.6, and I'd hate to ruin the threads by using the wrong tap.

Regards,
Scott

Scott, we have a 100% satisfaction guarantee on everything we sell in the store. Let's take this offline, I'll email you and we will ensure you are more than satisfied with your purchase.

I'm just heading to sleep right now but I'll get back to you with the thread pitch when I wake up. I'm surprised it isn't on our heatsink information page, so your question is a good one.

I think what happens is the heatsinks are tapped before anodizing. I could be wrong, but I had a similar problem installing screws. Have to be careful not to cross-thread.
Again, I could be wrong in my assessment.

The heatsinks first come in raw aluminum, then they are worked, and the holes drilled and tapped. Lastly, they are anodized. This (I believe!) is to ensure there are no scratches on the anodized surface and the customer gets a perfect finish.

There is always one small mark on the interior surface of the heatsink where there is less or no anodization (not a scratch), which is from where the heatsink is hung on a "tree" in the anodization bath, and is something you'll find on the non visible surface of every anodized product.

So, yes, the anodization can make things a bit "tight" but we haven't heard of anyone having issues before. Whatever is the case, we'll ensure you are 100% satisfied with your purchase.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Thanks Jason,

I can see how this can be pretty hard to figure out. Both our national and state governments has been really cracking down on collecting taxes from on-line sales. (It used to be the "honor system") So I am guessing where smaller items could "sneak" by, I am thinking there is a lot more regulation now. Do not know for sure. But I can say, I do pay state sales tax now when I order on-line and it is collected at the time of sale. This is different for each state, but I would not be surprised if the government provides (or requires) some software or service to figure this out. Amazon is one such site. Not sure if this is a possibility for Your store, as this seems pretty complicated...

I will have to order a chassis and see what happens. :xfingers:

...at least I will be ready for a possible "surprise":bomb:

Allen

Well, it was only $16.00, not much of a bomb really. I just didnt like Fed Ex charging $7.00 to advance less than $10.00. If we could pay an estitmated duty upfront, estimated slightly high. Then Fed Ex would have to refund the overage. This might make it not worth their trouble. Its really not much money, $7.00. But if fed ex does this to everyone......

Diystore has done a fantastic job and this in no way reflects on them. If we can find a way to pay in advance, great. Frankly, it wouldnt be so offensive if DIYstore got the $7.00, I would have no problem!

Russellc

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Well, it was only $16.00, not much of a bomb really. I just didnt like Fed Ex charging $7.00 to advance less than $10.00. If we could pay an estitmated duty upfront, estimated slightly high. Then Fed Ex would have to refund the overage. This might make it not worth their trouble. Its really not much money, $7.00. But if fed ex does this to everyone......

Diystore has done a fantastic job and this in no way reflects on them. If we can find a way to pay in advance, great. Frankly, it wouldnt be so offensive if DIYstore got the $7.00, I would have no problem!

Russellc

$7 isn't so bad. In Canada, couriers like UPS, Fedex and DHL charges quite
high brokerage fees. There's the sales tax (which I don't mind), but also
the myriads of fees slapped on top by the courier.

Dennis

Jason's store is Awesome!

I agree, You, Jason are doing a great job. :up:

Do not take my frustration regarding fees as a cut to the diyAudio store. The fees are not going to prevent me buying a chassis or two. :D

I have been very happy with how You have been implementing changes to the store's pages for us. Keep up the good work. If there is anyway we can make this better to eliminate fees for the store's benefit, I am all for that. :D

Sincerely,

Allen ;)

Dissipante chassis heatsink questions...

Anyway, back to the chassis themselves...

I am still deciding on the best chassis route for my First One Amp project. I really liked Lazy Cat's design, due to the slimmer height. As I plan on building more then one amp over time, I would like to explore the possibility of a slimmer Dissipante Chassis then the 3U. I would like to go with the 2U. Based on reviewing data on similiar shaped heatsinks at fischereletronik it would appear the 2U 400 mm would be just as effective as the 3U 300 mm. The fischer designs have a 0,4 K/W rating in these sizes. I would assume the Dissipante are similar...

Lazy Cat informed me, because the First One module's Mosfets are so centrally located, it would be important that the heatsink base would be thicker for a wider heatsink to be effective with this module.

So there in lays my question. What are the thicknesses of the heatsink bases for the 3U 300 chassis verses the 2U 400 chassis?

Thanks again for your patience and help.

Allen ;)

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Anyway, back to the chassis themselves...

I am still deciding on the best chassis route for my First One Amp project. I really liked Lazy Cat's design, due to the slimmer height. As I plan on building more then one amp over time, I would like to explore the possibility of a slimmer Dissipante Chassis then the 3U. I would like to go with the 2U. Based on reviewing data on similiar shaped heatsinks at fischereletronik it would appear the 2U 400 mm would be just as effective as the 3U 300 mm. The fischer designs have a 0,4 K/W rating in these sizes. I would assume the Dissipante are similar...

Lazy Cat informed me, because the First One module's Mosfets are so centrally located, it would be important that the heatsink base would be thicker for a wider heatsink to be effective with this module.

So there in lays my question. What are the thicknesses of the heatsink bases for the 3U 300 chassis verses the 2U 400 chassis?

Thanks again for your patience and help.

Allen ;)

Please see: 40mm Heatsink Information

The heatsinks on the 2U, 3U, 4U, 5U Dissipante are all the same, just sliced to different heights (80mm, 120mm, 165mm, 210mm). They all have the same "base" thickness, and I'll have to get back to you as to what that is. Likewise, I will get the cooling figures for the 3U and 2U heatsinks as well. Please allow 24-48 hours.

Last edited:
Thanks, Jason

Glad we looked into this, as the 2U 400 mm chassis contains four heatsinks rated at 0.68 C/W each. I am not sure if that will work for my First One Amp design. I can not find any information on how joining heatsinks affects C/W performance...

Once again, hats off to You, Jason. :worship: Your devotion to providing the information I need to make an informed purchase is second to none!

At the moment, I am not sure if I will find the "ideal" chassis for my First One Project, so it may be "compromise time for me." I have another multi-channel Chip Amp project that could use a home also...

So sooner or later, I do plan on getting my hands on at least one of these chassis! :D

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Folks:

Here is a quick follow-up to my earlier post regarding problems with the M3 threads in a 4U Deluxe chassis:

First, Jason and HiFi2000 responded very, very quickly and made it clear that they would resolve the issue to my complete satisfaction. This was my fifth chassis purchase from the Store (and the eleventh HiFi2000 chassis that I have purchased) and the first time I had any issue with HiFi2000 products. It was gratifying to get such prompt and thorough support, which as it turned out wasn't needed.

Second, vdi_nenna, who lives near me, kindly loaned me his M3 tap. The problem with the threads in my chassis were minor but they did prevent me from fully inserting my standoffs (with 6mm threads) into those holes. The threads were cleared in less than 10 seconds per hole and all is good.

I couldn't have asked for a better outcome and I very much appreciate the support of the community and the Store.

Regards,
Scott

Got my Chassis Today!

This is a box full of surprises, all good. :D

First off: This got here fast! ...as fast as Parts-Express, and that is saying a lot, being these are shipped from Italy. :)

As I was expecting an assembled chassis... You know how it is when shopping on-line, You expect what You see in the photos... I was surprised the box was as small as it was. :eek: Thankfully, the Chassis is packed un-assembled. This worked out ideal for me, as I will be drilling and cutting holes.

Another thing I did not see in the photos is how nice the "standard" feet are. :magnify: Note too, the heavy duty hardware. (Shown with an American quarter to give a sense of scale.)

Also, the 10 mm thick Aluminium face plate is substantial. :superman: The 3 mm panels and back plate are not slouches either and are more then rigid enough for high-end audio hardware. (Again, shown with an American quarter to give a sense of scale.)

Finally, the heatsinks are premium. Note the ridged fins. I could not see this detail from the photos.

All and all, I am Very Happy. This is more then I expected. I would definitely buy more of these. ;)

I did not have any fees due upon delivery, however, if I recall, FedEx may be shipping a bill separately, so I will let You know what comes up.

Allen :)

Attachments

• Assembly Required.jpg
    Assembly Required.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 352
  • Chassis Hardware.JPG
    Chassis Hardware.JPG
    961.5 KB · Views: 333
  • Chassis Thickness.JPG
    Chassis Thickness.JPG
    676.6 KB · Views: 325
  • Chassis Heatsink.JPG
    Chassis Heatsink.JPG
    937.7 KB · Views: 329
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Ok, the chassis (Deluxe 4U) I just ordered a few days ago got here already....it beat the domestically shipped back panel parts kit. Jason, store isnt out of the are they?

We will see if they get me for the duty this time....

PS...Nope, tracking shows it should be here tomorrow!

Russellc