Amp Camp Kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Last edited:
ACA/DIY stereo pics

Hi All,

Here is a picture of my completed stereo system. It includes a pair of ACA's on sleds that I built from poplar. The speaker cabs are home built. The drivers are Fostex. There is also a Bottlehead Quickie. My wife insists that it is an eyesore, but she likes it right where it is.

Attachments

• DIY stereo pic.JPG
    DIY stereo pic.JPG
    421.1 KB · Views: 3,239
A teacher once told me that there are non dumb questions. Of course I never asked her the one above. Since there is no source switching or volume controls, a CD Player Line Out is out. Doing some research I found that "A preamp output normally needs to drive a load of between 10,000 Ohms and 47,000 Ohms..." with headphone outputs driving as low as 30 ohms. Looking at the circuit I see at least a 10K ohm load so I think it's safe to assume that to drive this amp I need to use a preamp.

It's called learning. You've made an effort, so that's great.

Modern sources should drive this amp just fine without need for the gain found in most preamps. You just need to add a volume control (As simple as a potentiometer) and a source selector if desired. A B1 is a nice follow on project. It will buffer the source from your volume control (or volume control from amp)

If your CD player has adjustable line out levels you can use it directly.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.