Amp Camp Kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
amp camp when - store update thread says back in stock

Any update on when the amp camp kits will be available? (I don't need a chassis)
I noticed an update stating the parts were back in stock a couple of weeks ago - but I know I was looking for parts around that time.
Is there a variation on the design with the difficult to obtain part substituted with something obtainable?
I was going to jump into something more difficult, but need a project to learn on.
Thanks!

Sound too bright, RIAA style EQ for digital sources?

I just finished building the ACAs and started playing with them. I hooked them up to a O-scope and they seem to have a very flat clean gain using sine waves at various frequencies. I hooked them up to a Denon CD player with a variable out put and used a pair of old Celestion 5 book shelf speakers. They are good for low priced speakers. I noticed a very clean detailed sound for the mids and highs but in general the bass was buried for most of the older music recorded for vinyl re-released on CD.

I remembered that I came to the conclusion many years that most of the reason that vinyl sounds better had to do with equalization more than digital vs analog. I think that when they transferred the old tapes recorded under RIAA guidelines to CD they didn't always do a good job of properly equalizing the recordings for CD. In the past I have always just compensated turning up the bass and lowering the treble. This is my first go at by passing tone controls and going source direct to amplifier. I will build a B1 buffer preamp but I have a feeling I will still have the same problem.

I'm not a super finicky audio file but I am getting frustrated that most stuff just sounds wrong to me. I'm just building this for fun to listen to at my work shop.

I was wondering if there are any nice little tone control circuits that I could build discrete components or one that would even just roll of the treble in a nice way. Or perhaps there is something that would mimic a phono RIAA preamp EQ but for a line level input. I could then switch between source direct and EQ with a switch.

Any thoughts on these issues would be appreciated.

[wiki=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIAA_equalization]%[/wiki]

Thanks

Steve
Oakland, CA

Guys, I bought a "kit" from someone and the enclosures separately (diyAudio Store). Does anyone have the parts list for the stuff required to build these amps in the diyAudio Store enclosures?

I need:

-Part number of the power switch
-Part number of the dc jack
-Part number of the brass standoffs
-Part number of the RCA jacks
-Part number of the speakers jacks
-What size are the washers and screws used? Part numbers would be awesome
-Part number of the Keratherm insulators

Thanks guys!!

-Jim

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I was wondering if there are any nice little tone control circuits that I could build discrete components or one that would even just roll of the treble in a nice way. Or perhaps there is something that would mimic a phono RIAA preamp EQ but for a line level input. I could then switch between source direct and EQ with a switch.

Steve
Oakland, CA

My first thought was to use a couple of resistors and a capacitor as shown. the size of the resistors and capacitor determine the tonal balance, and that is up to your taste. If you are using a potentiometer instead, you may find a setting that suite you.

Attachments

• eq.jpg
    eq.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 384
I bought one of the current run of kits, but am having trouble fitting the power switch and the power jack. Is there a trick to it?

The thread on the jack is too large for the hole in the chasis, and the plastic wings on the power jack that presumably hold it in place make it too wide to fit in the hole.

square-peg-round-hole-smash.jpg

Since I built my first amp camp kit I've collected some extra parts and rebuilt the boards but never came up with a way to put it together. I also build Bottlehead kits and one day the small, dim light came on - I'll use a cookie sheet build.

I work for a company that has a laser burner so getting the plate done is easy but designing the plate isn't my forte so here it is - the small plate was way too thin and some of the holes not quite right so instead of a 6x10 I'm going to have an 8x10 cut.

The heat sinks are from Dell SC1425 servers and you can still snag them from the 'bay. The hole's just happen to be close enough to fit. Heat sinks on top, boards on the bottom. I still have an 8x10 base from a Bottlehead kit that I'll use.

Power is from a pair of standard laptop 19v power supplies that I've combined into one connector using an NL4MP Neutrik connector.

Top of the prototype - metal is too thin (1mm) and a few holes too small.

Bottom - I don't like this layout so I redid it.

Possibly the final:

Hey all,

I purchased PCB's for the ACA back when they were in stock and stuffed the board from the parts list. I just bought two chassis now that they are in stock. Now I'm stuck without all of the connecting parts- standoffs/power button/i/o's - and I was surprised I couldn't find a parts list for those items. Of course I can figure it out 1 by 1 after painful hours on DigiKey, but it would be really nice if we could have a parts list for those items too! Can anyone (DIYAudio) help me out? Thanks! If no, I'll post my complete ACA parts list. I really want to get this thing going this month!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.