F-5 boards

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
If the Ebay Jfet are genuine (and unfortunately there is a high probability they are fake...) being GR grade will require more resistance across the bias pot, as Andrew says.

This means you will need to increase the value of the resistor in parallel with P1 P2, which are R3 R4 (or R5 R6 if you are looking at the schematic that includes P3)

My F5 build guide with the Peter Daniel boards used GR Jfet, it took quite a bit more resistance to get everything operating as planned, but it worked wonderfully and sounds great.

brunogiovs said:
any tip on the v3 of f5 in general?

To you mean F5Tv3? which version of the amp are you building?

If the Ebay Jfet are genuine (and unfortunately there is a high probability they are fake...) being GR grade will require more resistance across the bias pot, as Andrew says.

This means you will need to increase the value of the resistor in parallel with P1 P2, which are R3 R4 (or R5 R6 if you are looking at the schematic that includes P3)

My F5 build guide with the Peter Daniel boards used GR Jfet, it took quite a bit more resistance to get everything operating as planned, but it worked wonderfully and sounds great.

To you mean F5Tv3? which version of the amp are you building?

Thanks.
I'm building the F5 .. pcb version 3.0... not turbo.

Lateral mosFETs have a near zero tempco when Ic is ~200mA
Vertical mosFETs have a near zero tempco when Ic is 10A to 40A.
Laterals when biased to less than 200mA can self protect since total dissipation is acceptable at this lowish Ic, whereas Verticals will simply blow up due to excessive dissipation that rises as temperatures rise.

Lateral mosFETs have a near zero tempco when Ic is ~200mA
Vertical mosFETs have a near zero tempco when Ic is 10A to 40A.
Laterals when biased to less than 200mA can self protect since total dissipation is acceptable at this lowish Ic, whereas Verticals will simply blow up due to excessive dissipation that rises as temperatures rise.
Humm interesting.
Thanks

R19 run hot

Hi
Just finished my F5 V3 and are ready to bias.
Power supply steady with 24,4v - I'm using softstart and speakerprotection boards.

Powering with a variotrafo - one/some resistor close to the LED runs hot, and start to smoke. I think its R19 (100R 1/4w).
I havent started biasing, but both R11 and R12 measure just few mV.

Any advice?

Hi
Just finished my F5 V3 and are ready to bias.
Power supply steady with 24,4v - I'm using softstart and speakerprotection boards.

Powering with a variotrafo - one/some resistor close to the LED runs hot, and start to smoke. I think its R19 (100R 1/4w).
I havent started biasing, but both R11 and R12 measure just few mV.

Any advice?

Ahhh- found out that I'm using resistor no from the BOM - they have changed to new numbers according to schematics from the F5Turbo article.....

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
The F5T boards are not much different, if at all. The F5 (standard, single output pair) are in their v3 revision. (Has the "P3" pot)

F-5 – diyAudio Store

There's a new parts kit for that PCB in the store, everything for the amp channels except the Jfets - F5v3 Kit – diyAudio Store

As for the Aleph J, that needs the differential (j74/J74) matched pair Jfets, those are in stock - J74/J74 Stereo Differential Kit – diyAudio Store

The matched transistors can be found here - Aleph J Transistor Kit – diyAudio Store

And PCB - Aleph J – diyAudio Store

Build guide - Aleph J illustrated build guide

As for sonic differences, Zen mod summed it up the best years ago - With the F5 you see the cockroach crawling around the violinist's feet, with the Aleph J the cockroach turns and smiles at you. :D

Last edited: