• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Parts, Shipping, Treasure Island

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm sure this isn't a new problem.

I've just filled a shopping basket at Parts Express, including an SI T-amp, a couple of TB 871s drivers, and some caps and bits to mod the T-amp.

Total price about $70.
Shipping to UK $75.

This is just crazy, and a deal breaker for me, so I cancelled the order.

Has anyone found a solution to this? I don't need the parts urgently, in fact I'd be happy to wait a month or more for them, as long as delivery is reliable, so I'm sure shipping should/could be only $20 or so.

I know some of these parts are available locally, but the prices use the traditional "swap the dollar sign for a pound sign" method, which means at current exchange rates they're double the US price, and I may as well stump up for shipping.

Perhaps a US diyaudio member could set up a 're-shipping' service (for a fee) for those of us stuck in the black-hole called 'worldwide'?

Is anyone interested in some kind of pooled purchase of some kind here?

jackpipe said:

This is just crazy, and a deal breaker for me, so I cancelled the order.

You are right.

This topic was discussed a month or so ago.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=95318

The problem lies with PEs choice of courier.
The solution is to choose another supplier in the States. I use several, originally sourced via EBAY. Post is then usually more reasonable but you have to watch out for Duty and the surcharge for handling.

Having said that, it can still work out cheaper!!

Andy

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The problem is that PE will only ship by air.

I have an almost unused SI T-amp spare, Vikash might still have some TBs (and i can check to see if Bob has any left). I'll be prepping a package to go to the UK (but probably not for a month) -- we have had good luck ganging a couple shipments to the UK and then having them distributed once it hits the UK.

dave

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
I've just been hit by this one ordering stuff from Mouser. Mouser charged me $36 to post a 1.5kg parcel by USPS (I'd been caught by UPS and Fedex before, you see), then Customs charged me £12 VAT and Parcelforce charged me £13.50 for paying Customs. You just can't win... My $100 order ended up costing me £100.

EC, that sounds familiar:xeye: Allthough I have to add, that I have had quite a few packages avoiding the attention of the custom-folks;) I am sure the Danish costums are sloppy and more or less on a coffee break all the time.
The shipping rates of Mousers sounds crazy! Having ordered from Digikey a few times, I never saw anything like that!

Steen:)

EC8010 said:
I've just been hit by this one ordering stuff from Mouser. Mouser charged me $36 to post a 1.5kg parcel by USPS (I'd been caught by UPS and Fedex before, you see), then Customs charged me £12 VAT and Parcelforce charged me £13.50 for paying Customs. You just can't win... My $100 order ended up costing me £100.

It is the 'extras' that put the price up !!

I was informed by Customs that the duty rate for spares (ie not complete amps, systems, speakers etc) was 2% (see the earlier thread - post 5 )

If you need any other info on duty rates, contact the customs and get the correct commodity code. 01702 366 077

This may help :-

http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/dds/cgi-bin/tarchap?Lang=EN

Use Browse then XVI. Most electronics and speakers start with 85......

Any overcharge can be claimed back.

Andy

Wow, what a great place - thanks everyone for such useful replies.

steenoe, stee-b - thanks for the links, I will consider the european suppliers as a second resort, since they only seem to supply the TB drivers, still leaving me with multiple (US) orders to get the T-amp, etc.

Jumon prices seem reasonable. The lautsprechershop Cyburgs Needle kit looks interesting, except I'm planning to use a software digital filter, so only need some drivers, not a crossover.

SpectrumAudio sell the SI T-amp bundled with a PSU for 75 euro (US$100?) + shipping, which on the surface, seems excessive to me.

poynton - only 2% duty on spare parts? Most interesting, thanks.

planet10, you could be my hero! I can certainly wait for a month or more, I'd be quite happy with a 'barely used' T-amp (or 2, in fact), and I could use anything up to 6 TB 871s if they're available. How much, and how?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.