• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

5 1/4" floppy drive

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Yes, that's 5 1/4". This is from the era when a floppy really was floppy. Bought new in 1993, but I seem to have lost the floppies I used to use with it, so it's come out of my computer. It worked last time I used it...

Price: Free, plus postage.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Withdrawn...

I think its future has been decided. The motor and control circuitry are on one nice board, and the motor has a convenient hollow boss into which I could fit a pulley. Yes, a turntable motor like audio origami's beckons. I even have a platter and bearing...

Looking at the motor, I suspect that 5 1/4" drives were rather like early videotape machines and relied on precision mechanical engineering to work, whereas later machines cheapened the engineering and relied on servos and error correction (failing that, reduced standards). The motor looks to be very well made, and must have quite reasonable torque to be able to rotate that large disk inside an envelope.

But thanks for the charming offer of contemporary software. I still use WP (and occasionally QuickBasic)!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.