• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Brimar 5R4GY WANTED

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What`s the big attraction to 5R4? I prefer a 5U4 because it handles same PIV, more current, less internal voltage drop, is less destructible and cheaper. Warmup times are similar.

The potato masher was for high elevation (improved base insulation) hard glass, rugged military type and aviation use. I can see where that much more expensive tube to manufacture ought to be worth more.

kevinkr said:
These show up often on eBay.uk, and often for silly money and frequently with the buy it now option.. I'd check now and then..

Ah-ha! That's the secret!

I couldn't give the RCA's away on Ebay.ca :rolleyes:

rcavictim said:
What`s the big attraction to 5R4? I prefer a 5U4 because it handles same PIV, more current, less internal voltage drop, is less destructible and cheaper. Warmup times are similar.

5R4 has a gorgeous sounding sag in a guitar amp. 5U4 sounds... meh, OK I guess.

Either/or for Hifi.

Geek said:

5R4 has a gorgeous sounding sag in a guitar amp. 5U4 sounds... meh, OK I guess.

Either/or for Hifi.

OK, I`ll buy that idea but why not use a 5U4 and a 25 cent series resistor then?

In fact couldn`t one go a step farther with the added resistor and program the attack characteristic of the `sag` with a electrolytic cap placed in parallel with this added series resistor? Would that be cool?

rcavictim said:

OK, I`ll buy that idea but why not use a 5U4 and a 25 cent series resistor then?

In fact couldn`t one go a step farther with the added resistor and program the attack characteristic of the `sag` with a electrolytic cap placed in parallel with this added series resistor? Would that be cool?

I see no reason at all why this wouldn't work :)

Makes for difficulties for on-the-fly rolling backstage.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.