My 6P14P Amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Swap Meet

Swap Meet Sell your stuff here, who knows, some other fanatic might be interested!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th January 2007, 10:57 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default My 6P14P Amp

It's time to let it go... you can take a look at the thread in Tubes during which I plan, build, and listen to it. I added a bottom plate and those nice isolating feet.

Here's basically what I wrote on Craigslist, but that'll expire in a week. Pardon the patronizing language, this is for the "regular" people out there

I built this amplifier a couple of months ago, after designing the schematic with the help of many online folks at forums like AudioKarma, DIYAudio, DIYTube, and AudioAsylum. If you're looking to get into good quality audio at a much lower price than the "boutique" amps that Stereophile reviews, but want something built new instead of all the vintage stuff on eBay, then this is for you.

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.

As you can see in the "nudie" shot, I use good quality Orange Drop and Solen caps for coupling, and Illinois Capacitors in the power supply. The output transformer are the desireable Dynaco Z565 (with the earlier cloth leads). The power transformer is an incredibly over-rated toroid, rated at 500mA into 300V (the circuit draws less than 200mA). Rectifier tubes (top caps) are two 6V3-A's. The filter choke is the robust Hammond 193K rated at 2.6 Henries, a very low 21 ohms (I measured 19) of DC Resistance, and 300mA max current. Tubes are one Russian 6N23P (6DJ8 equiv.) for splitting and driving, and two 6P14P (EL84 equiv.) for output. For those DIY techies out there, you should appreciate the way I bias each 6P14P tube - each gets its own 20-ohm 20-turn trimpot at the cathode, along with a convenient 10-ohm 1% resistor for matching current down to .1mA per tube!

Power should be around 10-12 watts per channel, but my friends are surprised at how loud it can play. Personally I've never played it loud enough to hear real clipping, because the volume just gets unbearable. Basically, it should be fine with good-quality speakers (why buy this otherwise) in a small to medium sized room. There's no volume control so you'll need to use something that has a volume control, like a preamp, but I can stick a 50K stereo potentiometer in there if you ask very nicely . As for the sound, I love it - deep, punchy bass, smooth, crisp high ends, and liquid mids. I could go on, but I'd start sounding like Stereophile...

Pick-up would be best because the amp is REALLY heavy and I'm afraid to pack it in a box, not to mention dealing with the very fragile tubes. You can also call my cell or text me at xxx-xxxxxxx. Last but not least, you'll have my e-mail if you buy this thing, so basically you'll have all the tech support you could ever need, free. Or just post on one of the forums mentioned above, they're full of helpful and kind people.

I'm asking $450 or best offer, you can email me at Click the image to open in full size.
Old 9th January 2007, 11:06 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

...sold. thanks

mods, feel free to delete this.

Hide this!Advertise here!