FS: Slightly modified M-Audio Audiophile 2496 sound card - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Swap Meet

Swap Meet Sell your stuff here, who knows, some other fanatic might be interested!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st December 2006, 05:27 AM   #1
DcibeL is offline DcibeL  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default FS: Slightly modified M-Audio Audiophile 2496 sound card

Hi,

Due to some incompatibilities with Linux, I am selling off my slightly modified M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 sound card. What have I modified on it? Well, I cut the ground connection from the chassis to the board. This removes a ground loop and lowers the noise floor. I've removed the AC coupling caps on the analog output, and changed the output buffer op-amp to an OPA2132. Once the coupling caps were removed, I measured DC offset at only a few mV. No modifications have been done to the analog input section.

This sound card features analog output and input, digital (S/PDIF) output and input, and midi in and out. The digital connections are coax (RCA), and all analog connections are RCA as well. Oh, and it's based on the Envy24 VT1712.

I am asking $80 for it plus shipping. NCIX price is $120.75

In case anyone's wondering, the Linux issues with Envy24: no available hardware mixing, it's all done in software. Unable to mmap (memory map) so iD games older than Doom3 will have no sound because of the way the old games access sound devices. This is a limitation of the Envy24 IC not Linux. It completely will not work with the coolest Spectrogram out there: Baudline. Basically, besides being able to play sound, it has no features in Linux.
Old 21st December 2006, 05:42 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

can you play descent 2 online

sorry i cant help other than ask that question
Old 21st December 2006, 08:49 AM   #3
DcibeL is offline DcibeL  Canada
diyAudio Member

Maybe....I haven't tried Descent in Linux, though I do have the entire Descent collection around here somewhere...well everything except Freespace 2.

It all depends how the game accesses the soundcard. Anything using Alsa aught to work just fine, if it uses OSS it can still be okay as long as it doesn't try to mmap. A friend of mine had this to say about mmap and the Envy24: "it DMAs audio data out in 32-bit samples which is not what the mmap interface provides".

Hide this!Advertise here!