• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

FS: Slightly modified M-Audio Audiophile 2496 sound card

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Due to some incompatibilities with Linux, I am selling off my slightly modified M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 sound card. What have I modified on it? Well, I cut the ground connection from the chassis to the board. This removes a ground loop and lowers the noise floor. I've removed the AC coupling caps on the analog output, and changed the output buffer op-amp to an OPA2132. Once the coupling caps were removed, I measured DC offset at only a few mV. No modifications have been done to the analog input section.

This sound card features analog output and input, digital (S/PDIF) output and input, and midi in and out. The digital connections are coax (RCA), and all analog connections are RCA as well. Oh, and it's based on the Envy24 VT1712.

I am asking $80 for it plus shipping. NCIX price is $120.75

In case anyone's wondering, the Linux issues with Envy24: no available hardware mixing, it's all done in software. Unable to mmap (memory map) so iD games older than Doom3 will have no sound because of the way the old games access sound devices. This is a limitation of the Envy24 IC not Linux. It completely will not work with the coolest Spectrogram out there: Baudline. Basically, besides being able to play sound, it has no features in Linux.

Maybe....I haven't tried Descent in Linux, though I do have the entire Descent collection around here somewhere...well everything except Freespace 2.

It all depends how the game accesses the soundcard. Anything using Alsa aught to work just fine, if it uses OSS it can still be okay as long as it doesn't try to mmap. A friend of mine had this to say about mmap and the Envy24: "it DMAs audio data out in 32-bit samples which is not what the mmap interface provides".

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.