The joy of insurance claims:Need peerless CSX1452608 (x4) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Swap Meet

Swap Meet Sell your stuff here, who knows, some other fanatic might be interested!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th December 2006, 03:25 PM   #1
KBK is offline KBK  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default The joy of insurance claims:Need peerless CSX1452608 (x4)

Power went out as last night in a weird half voltage pulsating kinda way.

Scary part:

One of a kind Bruce Moore Pre MFA Lumiscence tube Preamp, three chassis. This is (likely-as far as I can figure) the prototype unit that Bruce and whomever used to 'work out' the designs of the MFA preamps. This is the 'no holds barred' original 'design work-proofing' unit. It is called, by Scott Frankland, the "Venusian' series. One of a kind. There were others, I surmise, from the conversation, but maybe not identical. Who knows.

It is now passing DC. It was built, with NO seriel numbers, of course. Properly labled on the front, but NO MFA markings, just the controls. Recognisably a MFA unit. This the bulk of this information came from a conversation with Scott Frankland, previously the F in MFA. (Moore Frankland, and Associates)

Needs repair. I'm the one to do it, likely.

1)The fun part, relating the whole mess to a an insurance adjuster.

The preamp, passing it's bits of DC (it can pass 100V p-p!- octal tube preamp!)..dutifully sent that signal to my power amp:

A highly modded Belles 450, with 300,000uf of capacitance, and a will to use it, like waving a shotgun around the room. It can pass DC at +/- 90V, without even blinking. It dutifully did so.

I've got DC offset in the power amp, as well, which means somethings amiss, possibly a blown output fet, which are the now unavailable 2sk135 and 2sj50 hitachi fets. There are NO internal pots of any kind in a belles 450, the DC stability-offset counts on the unit having perfectly matched sets of outputs. The best scenario. Build it right-or stay home.

But pricey to fix, when the fets are not available. They are, but the price is sky-high.

2) Try to present that nightmare to an insurance adjuster.

Next on the block:

A pair of older prototype speakers, which took 6 months to get the crossover right. THey used peerless csx145wr2608 drivers, 4 of them. MTM design, with a custom vifa horn loaded tweeter. Those woofers, of course..are not available.

The insurance adjuster and/or technician involved in the assessment, needs to sign a NDA, before they are even allowed to set eyes on the things. Let alone being allowed to take them apart. That is strictly forbidden, NDA, or not.

3: try relating that to an insurance agent.

And now...I have no tunes in the house. And I listen to tuneage, while I am awake and in the house, period. Silence, I guess. For a while. And an insurance battle too.

Any suggestions??

Good morning! How's your day going?
Old 5th September 2007, 08:03 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Bump!

Still looking for a set of 4 CSX 145's!!
Old 2nd June 2008, 04:40 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Still looking for a set of (4) CSX 145's. Will pay. For example, if you had a set of NHT speakers that used that model, and I had to pay to buy the functional pair..I'd buy them. Why?

It's a set of MTM stand mounter's..with a custom horn loaded tweeter, the best crossover I've ever done, and 91-91.5db efficiency. These speaker really kick ***, at the same time they had stunning dynamics-excellent phase alignment. Purely a stroke of luck and two years of grinding my teeth getting the crossover right. I'd like to hear them again. Also, the box design is unique and unrepeatable.
Old 3rd June 2008, 06:17 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Jack Hidley
Do you have the six digit Peerless part number that is on the back? They sound like 850108s.

http://www.tymphany.com/files/products/pdf/850108.pdf

There were two different CSX145 drivers used by NHT. One is an NPT-11-080-1, the other is an NPT-11-081-1. Both are custom drivers, but are based on the 850108. Go here for photos and specs:

http://home.comcast.net/~jhidley/index.html

Specs for the drivers are located in the spreadsheet located at the top of the page. Additional specs are located in the link just below the pictures. If you had 850108s, then the NPT-11-081-1 driver will be closest.
Old 3rd June 2008, 08:26 AM   #5
mgm31 is offline mgm31  France
diyAudio Member

Try some post later in this forum section, there is some 2SJ50 / 2SK135 NOS for sale.

I've bought 2 pair for $24 + shipping if I can remember.....

If your amp is well designed, you MUST have :

- 2 fuses per channel (on each 2SJ and 2SK branch) : might add it
- A DC protection (relay) on the output : some kits are available and can be added externaly

I've got an old amp using this FET and no problem with this protection

Edit : this is the post Obsolete transistors 2SK135 / 2SJ50

Hide this!Advertise here!