Wondering why there arent more of your creations ready to use available here - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Swap Meet

Swap Meet Sell your stuff here, who knows, some other fanatic might be interested!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th December 2006, 02:12 AM   #1
spwal is offline spwal  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Wondering why there arent more of your creations ready to use available here

Im always looking to pick up some of these wonderful creations you make... id like to see more posted up here.

thanks
Old 4th December 2006, 06:51 AM   #2
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Most people sell/buy parts and I think most builders don't want to sell their masterpieces.
Old 4th December 2006, 06:53 AM   #3
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: Wondering why there arent more of your creations ready to use available here

Quote:
Originally posted by spwal
Im always looking to pick up some of these wonderful creations you make... id like to see more posted up here.

thanks
Who are you talking to? I can always move your post to the correct forum/thread.

/Hugo
Old 5th December 2006, 05:13 PM   #4
spwal is offline spwal  United States
diyAudio Member

I was just wondering why more people in general dont sell some of the things they make. Alot of them look just great, and probably sound great. i was wondering why people dont put them up for sale.

This is a "WTB: your nice amp" post

Thanks

Sean
Old 5th December 2006, 09:23 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Spasticteapot
Quote:
I was just wondering why more people in general dont sell some of the things they make. Alot of them look just great, and probably sound great. i was wondering why people dont put them up for sale.

This is a "WTB: your nice amp" post

Thanks

Sean

I'm working on a decidedly non-revolutionary Gainclone design with a LM3875 and a single op-amp per channel. It (finally) works properly, and after I send out the PCB design to Olimex, I'll be selling them for about $200 for a complete amplifier.

(Please don't ban me! I'm using PCBs of my own design, the LM3875 datasheet's schematic, and a simple, un-regulated power supply. I'm not ripping off anyone else's work - just trying to make an honest buck.)

Old 5th December 2006, 10:45 PM   #6
DonoMan is offline DonoMan  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to DonoMan
Spasticteapot, you don't need to meet that kind of strict requirements to sell stuff [here].
Old 6th December 2006, 03:43 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Spasticteapot
Quote:
Originally posted by DonoMan
Spasticteapot, you don't need to meet that kind of strict requirements to sell stuff [here].
I happen to have a rather strong hatred of companies who clone obviously innovative mechanical designs. Much as I'd like to manufacture amps based on the MyRef design, it belongs to Mauro, and until I get his permission I won't be selling any (unless, of course, I've bought some Twisted Pear kits.)

That, and I've seen the savage beating that some far-east cloners have recieved on the Pass Labs forum.

As a side note, I intend on starting my own hi-fi company after I finish college. My buisness model is very simple: Build amplifiers that work well using as few parts as possible and using tested, proven designs. I'm working on a LM3886 + PGA2311 combination amplifier on a single board; while hardly innovative, it should offer very good performance for a very reasonable pricetag.

(Yes, I'm well aware that it's inferior to the products of Pass Labs and Peter Daniels' excellent Gainclones, but I'm going to be charging a much, much lower price than either of the above.)
Old 6th December 2006, 08:42 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Spasticteapot

I happen to have a rather strong hatred of companies who clone obviously innovative mechanical designs. Much as I'd like to manufacture amps based on the MyRef design, it belongs to Mauro, and until I get his permission I won't be selling any (unless, of course, I've bought some Twisted Pear kits.)

That, and I've seen the savage beating that some far-east cloners have recieved on the Pass Labs forum.

As a side note, I intend on starting my own hi-fi company after I finish college. My buisness model is very simple: Build amplifiers that work well using as few parts as possible and using tested, proven designs. I'm working on a LM3886 + PGA2311 combination amplifier on a single board; while hardly innovative, it should offer very good performance for a very reasonable pricetag.

(Yes, I'm well aware that it's inferior to the products of Pass Labs and Peter Daniels' excellent Gainclones, but I'm going to be charging a much, much lower price than either of the above.)
So, I guess your Business Model is: selling amps that give more performance for the same/lower price than others. It is important to know where you will focus on if you want to be succesfull. People don't buy amps because they use using as few parts as possible or whether it has a single board or not.

My 2 eurocents worth.

Jan Didden
Old 6th December 2006, 08:59 AM   #9
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Spasticteapot
I'll be selling them for about $200 for a complete amplifier.

To include all the costs of doing business that means, including your time spent building them, that they should cost no more than $50-80 to build. You need to think about taxes, cost of business premises, bills, advertising, customer support, consumables, insurance, safety certification, a living wage for you, legal fees, it goes on and on. By all means go for it, but spend some time on your business model first. Get some help, certainly in the UK there are lots of organisations that will give you free advice on setting up a small business, and I'm sure that is the case in the USA as well.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 6th December 2006, 09:09 AM   #10
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Wondering why there arent more of your creations ready to use available here

Quote:
Im always looking to pick up some of these wonderful creations you make...
I have seen various projects sold here on diy, and they just don't go for enough money. You're lucky to get back the cost of the components, let alone any money for the time spent on enclosures etc. Faced with that, most people just aren't interested in selling.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?

Hide this!Advertise here!