• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

DIY Ankoru Help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Merry Christmas everyone. I've been lurking around this forum for a while and I wondered whether anyone can help me out.

At present I'm using a prototype KR300bxls monoblock amp that I built to drive a pair of Quad ESL-63s. I've been using them for a while and although they sound incredible they can't drive the Quads to anything above medium volume levels. I've been toying with the idea of building the Ankoru clone that I've always promised myself (link to schematic below) but I've a few questions if anyone can help me out.

http://www.geocities.com/single_ended_poweramp/anks.JPG

I have a pair of Bartolucci Mains Transformers, 550-0-550 200ma which I can use with a voltage doubler as in the schematic, but I assume that doing this will give me 1275v ish but at 100ma. The 845s are biased at 75ma each, so am I correct in thinking that my power transformer with not be able to handle the current (150ma for the two) If I'm using separate transformers for the secondary HT and the bias will this take the strain off the main transformer? The power transformers are enormous and can probably handle more power, but I’d appreciate you thoughts before I blow them to bits!

My other question is regarding the capacitors following the 5R4s. I've never used voltage doublers before, but I know that for a full wave rectifier using a 5R4 the first capacitor after the rectifier is limited to 4uF. In the schematic the first capacitors are 2 x 100uF in parallel = 50uF, is this to high or are the limits different for voltage doublers? Finally why are the power supply capacitors paralled with resistors?

Hope these questions aren’t too daft. Thanks in advance

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.