• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Manger MSW Bending Wave Driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Just a single Manger MSW.

Not very often you see this driver in the classifieds. I'll cut all my usual BS and just get down to it.

Info here:
http://www.manger-audio.co.uk/manger-speakers-transducer.htm

Specs:
http://www.manger-audio.co.uk/PDFs/MSW_data_sheet.pdf

White paper on how and why the Manger is unique:
http://www.manger-audio.co.uk/PDFs/acoustical_reality.pdf

The driver has been used very briefly but its completely as new with original box and mountings/fittings. I bought it new direct from Manger UK 3 weeks ago at a cost of £515. Its got the usual 3 year Manger warranty too :)

I've decide to knock DIY speakers on the head over Winter and start anew come spring time next year. So plans will probably change once again and the easiest option is to sell now and then buy when I'm ready again.

I understand that even second hand these drivers are still very expensive so I wouldn't mind a trade for some DIY bits such as amp bits, sub drivers and what have you.

If your interested in just the driver with a straight transaction then I'm wanting £400.

BTW I also have detailed plans for the Manger Zerobox 103, 107 and 109. These include XO schematics, cutting lists and stuffing guides. These can be provided with the driver.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hi Shino,

if i'd be to buy this driver from you ,
could you get another one for me
and send it with it at the same time ?

the price in canada is outrageous ...near 2000$CAD each

i don't know if you can accept paypal payments?

let me know ..might be interested! :)

JIN

Have you ever had a chance to listen to Mangers in good setup?
Someone said it is theatre for blinds and I feel it the same, when I close my eyes.

Take good 35cm wide enclosure with 30cm depth and enough stuffing, take your favourite woofer with +-90dB sensitivity or active subwoofer, use +-100mikroF condensator before MSW and listen to great sound.

Relevant amplifier may be colourful 300B for small room but with something like Electrocompaniet or Audia Flight A50 the dynamic attack will be real. Dont use Manger with unmusical amps, it will sound very crude!

Mangers are not for huge SPL and excellent directivity but at moderate levels you will be surprised what detail even heavy metal recordings have.

With somethink like Holoprofile the directivity is not a problem. You can DIY.

This 1MSW offer is great for DIY center cannel.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
JinMTVT said:
Hi Shino,

if i'd be to buy this driver from you ,
could you get another one for me
and send it with it at the same time ?

the price in canada is outrageous ...near 2000$CAD each

i don't know if you can accept paypal payments?

let me know ..might be interested! :)

JIN

Hey Jin

It looks to be around $2050 CAD for the driver I'm offering here plus a new one from Manger making a pair. This also includes shipping from the UK.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
jirka said:
Have you ever had a chance to listen to Mangers in good setup?
Someone said it is theatre for blinds and I feel it the same, when I close my eyes.

Take good 35cm wide enclosure with 30cm depth and enough stuffing, take your favourite woofer with +-90dB sensitivity or active subwoofer, use +-100mikroF condensator before MSW and listen to great sound.

Relevant amplifier may be colourful 300B for small room but with something like Electrocompaniet or Audia Flight A50 the dynamic attack will be real. Dont use Manger with unmusical amps, it will sound very crude!

Mangers are not for huge SPL and excellent directivity but at moderate levels you will be surprised what detail even heavy metal recordings have.

With somethink like Holoprofile the directivity is not a problem. You can DIY.

This 1MSW offer is great for DIY center cannel.

Some good suggestions there.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Being more specific about trades I'm looking for:

Any quality amplification but particularly interested in UcD stuff.

Any interesting driver(s) from the likes of Audio Technology, Scanspeak sliced papers, Accuton etc.

Top notch sub/woofer driver(s) from the likes of Adire, TC Sounds, Beyma LX60, TAD etc.

This really is a unique sounding driver, certainly not without fault but for coherence, detail and sheer transparency its one of the best I've heard.

Hello ShinOBIWAN,

my following question to You is certainly off topic and possibly not beneficial in a thread where You want to sell this drivers, so if You find it inappropriate enough here please feel free to ignore it.

I ask this question because as it appears to me You tried quite some of the very best and expensive drivers out there and therefore I´d be interested in Your opinion of where You think is the bottleneck of this drivers in comparison to other first class drivers You`ve experimented with (or driver combinations respectively as the Manger is nearly a Fullrange) ?

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
cocolino said:

Hello ShinOBIWAN,

my following question to You is certainly off topic and possibly not beneficial in a thread where You want to sell this drivers, so if You find it inappropriate enough here please feel free to ignore it.

I ask this question because as it appears to me You tried quite some of the very best and expensive drivers out there and therefore I´d be interested in Your opinion of where You think is the bottleneck of this drivers in comparison to other first class drivers You`ve experimented with (or driver combinations respectively as the Manger is nearly a Fullrange) ?

No problem at all.

I find the driver lacking in two areas in particular - power response and HF dispertion. Simply put the driver is quite directional after around 7Khz meaning you have to sit pretty much on axis otherwise you lose a good portion of the air, sparkle and sweetness. This obviously isn't a problem if you've got an ideal setup and have the center of the driver around ear level. This trait might not be as apparent to some but for me its like I've gone from one extreme to the other. My previous speakers were based around very broad and even dispertion well in the treble so this is a polar opposite.

There's generally two camps here, one who believe that wide dispertion with an even power response yields the most natural use of a rooms acoustic and interaction with the speaker, this was my previous desings philosophy. Then you have the other side who believe in highly directive designs such as horns, large Sd covering upper frequency ranges for beaming etc. And the idea here is to minimise room interaction and especially side wall and floor/cieling relfections, the upshot of this approach is that you hear more of the recording and the imaging is exceptional because its not blurred by late sound arrival. Both are sound approaches but you generally will take a preference to one or the other. For me it was the wide dispertion so the Mangers don't suit.

I also had other reservations but felt that they could be overcome or lessened through careful design and implementation. However the directivity issue is an insurmountable one and you either like it or you don't so I cut my experiments short because it wasn't my preference, some folks swear by the Mangers approach though - Thorsten for instance.

BTW: This is by someway the best 'fullrange' driver I've heard yet, infact I'd go so far as to say that its the only one I'd consider. The rest sound coloured and rolled off in the treble. The Manger is certainly the most sucessful implementation of this ideal and its time based performance is the best to be found in the world - the step response is damn near perfect and multiway speakers are terrible in comparison. I think its this that lends much of the excellence and naturalness to the driver.

ShinOBIWAN, thank You for the detailed reply!

I find the driver lacking in two areas in particular - power response and HF dispertion.

I also had other reservations but felt that they could be overcome or lessened through careful design and implementation.

I´m aware of the Manger`s HF dispersion issue.
What I´m curious about is what Your "other reservations" are?

There's generally two camps here........
I´m in the third camp:clown:
I favour an approach somewhere inbetween of the extrems of both camps.
I don`t like fully omnidirectional speakers where the sound seems to come from everywhere just not from where You would expect a stage nor I like pinpoint radiating speakers where even very small movements of the head can lead to collapsing of the soundstage.
Either sound unnatural to me.

Despite the Manger`s HF dispersion issue I`d not (yet) count it to the "highly directive" designs.

.....and multiway speakers are terrible in comparison
Exactly my thought!

For everyone who would like to try Manger but hate more directional designs:

The directionality of mids is better than from some conventional midwoofers. The directionality of frequencies from 6kHz and up is the weak point.

THE CURE IS SOUND DEFLECTOR
With somethink like Holoprofile you get the dispersion like from small tweeter.

Attachments

• 643591_1.gif
    643591_1.gif
    19.6 KB · Views: 342
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.