• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

WTB: Would like to commission a diyer to build me a pair of speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I'm looking for someone to build me one of Zaph's design. If you are interested just send me a PM. The cost of buying the tools will be greater than the cost of the speakers themselves. I am looking for someone professional to build me this great project.

Max

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
This is what sreten is referring to:

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?WebPage_ID=208&raid=12&rak=Cabinets

They appear to be high quality and have all the details thought out-

They will probably be cheaper than hiring someone to make boxes and come out better...

see if you can find a box about the correct width. If it is a bit too big in internal volume, just add some internal bracing- or cut some lengths of 4x4 and glue them inside...

I have no connection to Parts Express of course..

mlaroche said:
Is there any good place to learn how to cut the holes for the speakers and how to mount them flush. I'm pretty unfamiliar with routers.

What you want is a plunge router, straight bit, and Jasper Circle cutting jig. Total cost for parts should be under $250.

You will need a scrap piece of wood and some clamps to hold the front baffle secure while you cut into it. You will also need a drill to cut the guide hole for the circle jig.

The Parts Express boxes look nice and are solidly built with bracing. The front baffles are 1" and are removeable.

Wear a mask over your mouth so you don't breathe too much MDF dust. Best to do the routing outdoors or in garage.

Flush mounting just means cutting the outer diameter of the driver with the plunge router set to something like 1/4" depth. For an 8" driver I make 4 passes at between 8 and 8 3/4" for example. You do this with 1/4" depth. Then to make the final cut through the board do that again in passes, taking maybe no more than 1/2" at a pass.

Sorry, Max, for the slight hijack...

Does anyone know of a UK/European source for readymade cabinets similar to the Daytons sold by Parts Express?

My brother is looking for some to use until he has time to build from scratch. Shipping to the UK from PE is prohibitively expensive ($150 for a pair - 1.5 times the price of a pair of the 0.38cuft boxes he's looking at).

Thanks

Greg

pe Shipping

pE only ships with UPS. When UPS crosses the border they charge a custom brokerage which is exhorbitant. You live fairly close to the USA border. If you can locate a UPS outlet in a US border town/city close to you, you can have PE ship it there. UPS will hold it for a small fee ($5) until you can cross the border and pick it up. That is how to circumvent the custom brokerage fee. Alternatively, have it sent to a friend or relative on the US side.

mlaroche said:
Hi,

I'm looking for someone to build me one of Zaph's design. If you are interested just send me a PM. The cost of buying the tools will be greater than the cost of the speakers themselves. I am looking for someone professional to build me this great project.

Max

Max,
If you can't get a pre-made cabinet like PE's, then either a local wood worker hobbiest or a quality cabinetmaker should be able to do this for you. I don't know what the schools are like in Canada, but it's sometimes possible to use your local high school woodshop. If you have a local woodworker's store like Woodcrafter's or Rockler, you could ask at the store, they may have a pretty good idea of who does that sort of thing. It's possible that you might get by with just the cost of materials and a case of beer (for the woodworker, not yourself!!!).
In any case, good luck with your project.
Best Regards,
TerryO

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.