diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Swap Meet (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/swap-meet/)
-   -   Conrad Heatsinks group buy (UK/Europe) (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/swap-meet/85044-conrad-heatsinks-group-buy-uk-europe.html)

bremen nacht 20th August 2006 06:09 PM

Conrad Heatsinks group buy (UK/Europe)

Hi,

anyone care to share the shipping on some of www.conradheatsinks.com 's finest?

There's a 15% discount on more than 10 pieces of any one item. We'll most likely get hit for 17.5% VAT but cost is still way below Farnell prices, for very high quality parts.

thanks

Chris

Puggie 21st August 2006 08:50 AM

They look nice, I need some heatsinks for a SKA GB150, I have been getting prices from UK companies from a UK company, whick may be pretty similar once you factor in shipping. What heatsinks are you looking for?

I was looking at buying some of these:

http://www.birminghamaluminium.com/heatsink_detail/100

and was quoted 12+VAT (inc delivery) for 50mm lengths, cut and de-burred. If you think you can get something similar from Conrad then I'm interested (I want something with a very thick base for making my enclosure).

william_backhouse (at) hotmail (dot) com

if you want to discuss it further.

FastEddy 22nd August 2006 09:18 PM

incoming from Australia

... ?? won't shipping costs eat you folks outta house & home ??

FYI: VAT: We ship to the UK all the time and invoke the GATT Duty Free rules about electronic parts and accessories ... usually the UK tax / customs folks go along with it.

Have the shipper put a label on the outside of the shipping carton == words to the effect: " GATT Duty Free Electronic parts and accessories from Austrailia "

If VAT is sales tax, then you folks could always have someone like Class-D.com bring 'em in to their house, then pay the taxes to them that may or may not apply.

bremen nacht 23rd August 2006 08:30 AM

Re: incoming from Australia

Quote:

Originally posted by FastEddy
... ?? won't shipping costs eat you folks outta house & home ??
It's surprisingly cheap if you don't mind waiting a couple of weeks.

Quote:

FYI: VAT: We ship to the UK all the time and invoke the GATT Duty Free rules about electronic parts and accessories ... usually the UK tax / customs folks go along with it.

Have the shipper put a label on the outside of the shipping carton == words to the effect: " GATT Duty Free Electronic parts and accessories from Austrailia "

If VAT is sales tax, then you folks could always have someone like Class-D.com bring 'em in to their house, then pay the taxes to them that may or may not apply.

Yes, VAT is sales tax (17.5% in UK) and is payable on most stuff that enters the EU. There's no legal way of avoiding it; some exporters lie about the value of the goods or call them 'samples' on the customs declaration but they (and the importer) risk ten years in the electric chair if they get caught.

richie00boy 23rd August 2006 08:46 AM

First I've heard of this "GATT Duty Free" thing. What does GATT stand for?

bremen nacht 23rd August 2006 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by richie00boy
First I've heard of this "GATT Duty Free" thing. What does GATT stand for?
General Agreement on Trade Tariffs or similar...it's an agreement between EU and USA to reduce punitive tariffs.

There's no duty on electronic components coming into the EU, just VAT.

Puggie 23rd August 2006 12:15 PM

Well like I say, I'm interested, there is a link to what I was looking at getting from a UK supplier, if Conrad have something similar that would be cheaper after shipping, I'm in!

jacco vermeulen 23rd August 2006 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by richie00boy
What does GATT stand for?
Let me guess: you've never heard of the 1944 Bretton Woods agreements either ? If that is not taught in school anymore i must be an old git by now.
Overhere customs have no notion of GATT either: import tax, luxury tax, and even penalty tax for US goodies. And bloody well for electronic items too. Dutch customs is a Nazi party.

No one interested in the Conrad big guns ?

N-Channel 23rd August 2006 12:45 PM

I just downloaded their Catalogue. Nice stuff, and reasonable prices, too. Nice to see they haven't abandoned the TO-3 crowd, either.

Cheers,

Steve

bremen nacht 23rd August 2006 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jacco vermeulen

Let me guess: you've never heard of the 1944 Bretton Woods agreements either ? If that is not taught in school anymore i must be an old git by now.
Overhere customs have no notion of GATT either: import tax, luxury tax, and even penalty tax for US goodies. And bloody well for electronic items too. Dutch customs is a Nazi party.

No one interested in the Conrad big guns ?

I haven't heard of such a thing.

But surely Holland has the same import restrictions as UK? If not, let me know what you need and I'll bring it into England and ship it on to you as a 'gift', having paid only 17.5% UK VAT.

Puggie, get me a part number from Conrad and I'll add it to my list and get a quote from them for shipping.