• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Hafler DH-500 Amplifier for sale

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For sale or trade, one Hafler DH-500 amplifier.

This is very used, and was originally broken when I acquired it. It had a burned out resistor on one of the output boards, blown fuses, and a broken fuse holder. I replaced all fuses, the burned resistor, and added non-standard fuse holders. The speaker level fuses are no longer externally accessible.

This amplifer appears to be in fully working condition, as tested with my own speakers (8 ohms) at high volume.

I'm getting rid of it because I live in an apartment with my girlfriend, and I really don't need all that power. It was ugly new, and it's cosmetically flawed. She can't live with it, and I can't give it the home it deserves.

The local used sound store (The Sound Well in Berkeley, CA) is willing to give me about $150 for it, so you need to offer more than that. These things go for about $350 in good condition on Ebay, so I know I'm not getting more than that. Make me an offer, and be ready to pay for shipping on this heavy beast if you're not in the San Francisco bay area.

I would strongly prefer not to ship it, and would meet up with you near a BART stop between El Cerrito and San Francisco.

Trades I'm looking for would be something equivalent to a Panasonic SA-XR55 or SA-XR57. Other home theater receivers will be considered if they have digital input, are in good condition, and are at least 75 watts in stereo mode.

Any questions?

will pay, conditionally

1) This amp was a kit amp. Did you build it? ( or do you know who did?)

2) Does it blow its fuses ... have you ever had to replace 'em? Any other known breakages?

3) Do you have the service manual? Or original build manual with the check list? ( http://www.hafler.com/techsupport/pdf/DH-500_amp_man.pdf )

4) More details about condition: well used? in a performance venue? Garage band environment? ... or just as home sound unit. Does the fan run constantly? Does it run at all?

5) Will you take my check? ... for US$150.00 delivered in Berkeley? (Shipping is around US$30 by UPS, packaging could run another US$30.00 = it weighs a lot and packaging is important to prevent breakage in transit.)

I'm serious, but don't want to buy a kit that I have to rebuild to make right. (Your reference to US$300+ on eBay doesn't mean too much as these are not always kits, but completed amps by professionals.

FastEddy: support@firewirestuff.com in Petaluma Ca.

Hi FastEddy,

Thanks for the interest. Unfortunately, you're second in line after somebody who emailed me shortly after my last post. I couldn't reply sooner since I was at the Death Cab for Cutie show.

I'm responding to your questions as thoroughly as I can, and directy the first guy to come read my responses. Let me know if this scares you both off.

1) No, I did not build this amp and I have no idea who built it. It was purchased at a second-hand store for my fraternity house at RPI in New York.

3) No- but I found the PDF you linked to and used it to rescusitate the amp.

2) and 4) After the fraternity purchased it, the amp was used and abused at a couple of parties before it was damaged. The amplifier was left in some sort of fault condition after a party. The amp sat unattended all night and the next time somebody paid attention to it, it would not work. It might have been left to drive a short circuit, or it could have been overdriven with no speakers connected- I have no idea what caused the damage.

I opened it up and gave it a thorough visual inspection, and this is what I found:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I tracked down what value resistor this was supposed to be, based on the schematic and parts list, and replaced it. While I was at it, I replaced ALL fuses with the recommended value fuses.

The most annoying physical damage that's still present on this amp is the external fuse holders are missing. The speaker level fuses are held inside of Radio Shack fuse holders inside the amp, since one of the external fuse holders was damaged and both fuse holder caps went missing.

The fan does run at low speed all of the time, but it is extremely quiet.

Since I repaired this amp, I had one output fuse blow once.

I'm asking for more than $150, since The Sound Well in Berkeley already offered me $150 for it. I'm asking $175 if you can pick it up at Del Norte Bart, or $200 at another BART station. If you come here, you're welcome to come have a listen to it. I've built a Modula MT speaker (still working on the second), so you should be able to get a good feel for the sound quality of the amp. I'm in an apartment, though, so we can't do much stress testing.

A personal check is fine, but I'd want to see some ID and proof of a home address.

I'm glad we're clear on the condition of the amp. I don't want to sugar coat anything.

If anyone else is looking for a reliable workhorse to drive low impedance loads at top power for your nightclub or band practice every night, I don't really recommend this amp unless you're qualified and inclined to keep it working.

If you're looking for an amp for home/home studio use that will have clean and solid sound, tons of headroom, and the ability to handle challenging (for home) loads- then this amp is for you.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.