• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

WTB or WTT for...a Tonearm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
HI,

I'm looking to spin some vinyl after a short 15 year hiatus. In my quest for a turntable I found a nice Rega P2 (the NAD one) with a P3 glass platter for a nice price. The unit was not fitted with a tonearm. Now, I know you want me to just buy the Rega arm or something better but finances won't let me do that right off.

So, I'm looking for a 'mediocre' arm that will fit my table for a mediocre price or a trade. I've got some heatsinks and stuff kicking around here I could trade. I notice that you can either get a piece of junk for 20 dollars or spend 300+ for something good. I guess I'm looking for something in between. I promise to buy a good one when the time is right but I'm just looking to get the table working:)

Thanks,
Marc

Thanks Sy,

Yes, I'm gathering parts for a diy arm but to be honest my only reference is a junky Technics a guy gave me yesterday. I don't have a machine shop but I've done some pretty good things on my drill press, tablesaw etc.

Ya know, your probably right, ta heck with the commercial tonearm. Maybe I'll go right to DIY. I just wish I could get a good grasp of the geometry I need to worry about like headshell angle, length, and overhang etc...
edit:
(but still, if someone is looking to get rid of something..let me know:) )

I have a Linn Basik Plus you can have for $40 plus shipping. The spring clip that holds the arm down when not in use had broken so I made one from a 1/8" strip of brass. Works and looks great.
I bought it for a DIY TT project but got a great deal from a buddy on a Basis + Rega 900 that I gave it up.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.