Feedback on shipping from the US to elsewhere please - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Swap Meet

Swap Meet Sell your stuff here, who knows, some other fanatic might be interested!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th June 2006, 01:11 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Feedback on shipping from the US to elsewhere please

Hi

I’m hoping to buy an amp from someone in the US (which almost never comes up here in the much smaller Australian tube amp market). The vendor is a little concerned it could be a hassle:

“Last time I shipped internationally it was a huge hassle.
But that was just after 9/11 and the shippers were putting me through hoops. Hopefully, things have settled down”

I’ve bought maybe 8 items from the US in the last six months (via eBay, here and commercial vendors) without hearing of problems.

I’m looking for feedback to confirm (or otherwise?) my recent experiences that apart from the very brief customs form to complete, it should be little different from shipping within the US.

(The monoblocks are each just over the USPS weight limit!) - I am most likely going with personal effects shipping company “Seven Seas Worldwide” www.sevenseasworldwide.com/ if anyone has experience with them?

Please share your recent experience . .

Thanks

Richard
Old 8th June 2006, 02:10 PM   #2
nyatt is offline nyatt  United States
diyAudio Member

I have had good success with Fedex. In cluding amps too big for USPS.
Old 8th June 2006, 02:16 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Any hassles of any kind?

Thanks
Old 8th June 2006, 02:16 PM   #4
beeah is offline beeah  United States
diyAudio Member

Whatever you do, avoid UPS - especially if you're close to the max weight (70 lbs, IIRC).

I'm sure you've heard the horror stories, but I've personally seen them literally throw heavy things off the truck onto my driveway before driving off.

I've also witnessed them throwing lighter packages into the garage when the door is open; I would imagine that the packages I've seen leaning against the closed garage door were not placed there gently.

OTOH, I've never had any problems with FedEx ground, nor with USPS Priority mail.
Old 8th June 2006, 02:43 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

So the only hassle has been that the insurer (the buyer) may need to make a claim?

thanks
Old 8th June 2006, 04:10 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

It's safe to assume UPS (ground service) will automatically deny any damage claim. In my experience, both personal and business, UPS claims 'insufficient packaging' on every claim.

The real hassle comes when trying to appeal their decision. UPS isn't worth the risk for valuable and/or fragile items in my opinion.
Old 9th June 2006, 09:03 AM   #7
Stones is offline Stones  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by geaugafletcher
It's safe to assume UPS (ground service) will automatically deny any damage claim. In my experience, both personal and business, UPS claims 'insufficient packaging' on every claim.

The real hassle comes when trying to appeal their decision. UPS isn't worth the risk for valuable and/or fragile items in my opinion.
I most defiantly second the above, last package I got off them had been dropped on every corner and probably the sides as well. 6 + months of dispute to get half the money back (excluding their postage charges). UPS don’t just always claim bad packing but they also tried to pass it all onto the handler on my side of the pond. It took a lot of effort to get the point across that the contract for both logistics and insurance was with them NOT the company that THEY used on my side of the pond.
Old 9th June 2006, 09:20 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

So there's a strong case to avoid UPS for export!

If you want to add an extra or stronger box around the item, I learnt today that http://www.uline.com/moving_supply.a...oving+Supplies deliver and have a huge range, though with minimum quantities . .

Cheers
Old 10th June 2006, 11:24 AM   #9
exurbia is offline exurbia  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi Richard,

Whatever method you choose make sure OOPS are not the shipper. They have denied my claim for my BG RD50's one of the pair was well rooted by them. It looked as if it had been bounced around the globe on a dirtbike.
Old 10th June 2006, 11:26 AM   #10
diyAudio Moderator

I don't know if it's the same with large items, but I have always had good service from USPS with smaller things, (PCBs components, etc.) from US sellers.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?

Hide this!Advertise here!