• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Feedback on shipping from the US to elsewhere please

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

I’m hoping to buy an amp from someone in the US (which almost never comes up here in the much smaller Australian tube amp market). The vendor is a little concerned it could be a hassle:

“Last time I shipped internationally it was a huge hassle.
But that was just after 9/11 and the shippers were putting me through hoops. Hopefully, things have settled down”

I’ve bought maybe 8 items from the US in the last six months (via eBay, here and commercial vendors) without hearing of problems.

I’m looking for feedback to confirm (or otherwise?) my recent experiences that apart from the very brief customs form to complete, it should be little different from shipping within the US.

(The monoblocks are each just over the USPS weight limit!) - I am most likely going with personal effects shipping company “Seven Seas Worldwide” www.sevenseasworldwide.com/ if anyone has experience with them?

Please share your recent experience . .

Thanks

Richard

Whatever you do, avoid UPS - especially if you're close to the max weight (70 lbs, IIRC).

I'm sure you've heard the horror stories, but I've personally seen them literally throw heavy things off the truck onto my driveway before driving off.:bigeyes:

I've also witnessed them throwing lighter packages into the garage when the door is open; I would imagine that the packages I've seen leaning against the closed garage door were not placed there gently.

OTOH, I've never had any problems with FedEx ground, nor with USPS Priority mail.

It's safe to assume UPS (ground service) will automatically deny any damage claim. In my experience, both personal and business, UPS claims 'insufficient packaging' on every claim.

The real hassle comes when trying to appeal their decision. UPS isn't worth the risk for valuable and/or fragile items in my opinion.

geaugafletcher said:
It's safe to assume UPS (ground service) will automatically deny any damage claim. In my experience, both personal and business, UPS claims 'insufficient packaging' on every claim.

The real hassle comes when trying to appeal their decision. UPS isn't worth the risk for valuable and/or fragile items in my opinion.

I most defiantly second the above, last package I got off them had been dropped on every corner and probably the sides as well. 6 + months of dispute to get half the money back (excluding their postage charges). UPS don’t just always claim bad packing but they also tried to pass it all onto the handler on my side of the pond. It took a lot of effort to get the point across that the contract for both logistics and insurance was with them NOT the company that THEY used on my side of the pond. :mad:

fedex yeuch!!!

I ship in a lot of packages by Fedex and without doubt they are an awful company to deal with. If there is any problem you can't get hold of the same person twice they keep you on hold and everything is your problem not theirs. They don't know the meaning of customer service. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I know you can't use them but I've had no problems with USPS with well packed parcels.

I can't help with a positive recommendation as I wouldn't recommend UPS either, sorry

Kev

Joined 2002
Paid Member
As a shipper all over the world I find the USPS the
way to go, since it's over there limit I would go to
Bax Global I have found them to be very reliable
and there prices are very good on mulitiple box
shipments and heavy packages.
The hassle for the shipper is on delicate items they
really need to be double boxed and reinforced so they
can withstand a 5ft drop, most shippers do not do this.
Other than that I would suggest insurance and do
check around. I've also used American Airlines and
other Airline Cargo services too.
Ohh... Have them pack the tubes seperately, maybe
in another box well packed and double boxed.
Steve @ Apex Jr.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.