• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

WTB: 6922 tubes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
6922 source

Hi Halojoy,
You are probably right. All the 6922's that I have ( about 18 ) are all Sovtek from Russia. Maybe these are also made elsewhere with the same number but I think the 6922 originated in Russia.
I read somewhere that Russians were better at tube design because they stayed with it much after the rest of the world switched to transistors. In addition tubes are supposed to be better for defence applications due to its resistance to radiation.
At least they were. I do not know the present situation.
Does anyone else out there have more details?

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Uh,Oh...

Hi,

Sorry guys I hadn't subscribed to this thread....
if one of you would have pushe my e-mail button.:D

OK.

So,what to buy?

The russian 6922 when selected for low noise are to my ears amongst the best 6DJ8s currently produced.
the 6922 reference is an industrial/pro one that is to same spec as the European E88CC.

If you prefer to go for NOS tubes:any Telefunken tube is worth the money BUT be ware there are some fakes going around even in TFK boxes or TFK tubes manufactured by or major players for them in the early seventies.
I could spill the beans on this but it's worth a story on its own.

The only way to be 100% sure you're getting the real MCoy is :

Buy them in original boxes preferably sealed in the typical cellophane.
Or ask for a certification that they do have the typical TFK diamond shape between the pins before you hand over the hard earned cash.
Test them asap so you're sure they're unused.

Better still then the E88CC/6922 are the hard to come by E188CC/7308 which are very hard to get in reasonable quantities.
They differ mainly in being even less noisy.
This is what I use in a tube MC headamp and they are tightly matched too.

Another one very rare as well is the Cca by Siemens developped for medical purposes (it won't cure tinnitus though).

Yet another little known marvel is the ~ com[atible E288CC/8255
which has smaller mu but is an excellent line stage candidate.

The russian 6N1P is NOT the same tube and will not always work as a substitute for a 6DJ8 and not only because of its' higher heater current requirements.

Other good ones are the US Amperex,the Euro Valvo,Mullard and the Philips SQ range.

Sorry for the late waking up,;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
QQ.

Hi,

Isn't the 6N23P the more natural ECC88/6922/6DJ8 equivalent?

Well,yes and no.

This 6N23P being a military russian tube it was adapoted as being closer to its pro equivalent,the 6922,by its' importers/distributors.

The 6DJ8 is not really known in Russia,hence the near equivalent 6N1P is offered as the more garden variety equivalent.
This comes close but isn't exactly the same tube.
NOS russian tubes such as the 6N22P* are much closer to our common 6DJ8/ECC88 but production on this has stopped many years ago.

*I think this was the correct cyrillic disignation,not 100% sure though.

Cheers,

;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
6DJ8/ECC88

Hi,

Here is a nice little table made by Mr.Ger Fust:

COMPARISON CHART

Apparently after doing some research the only difference in nomenclature between the russian 6922 and their common ECC88
is the "EV" tag added to the mil-spec 6922.

So the russian ECC88/6DJ8 is 6N23P
Their 6922 is 6N23P-EV.

This "EV" or EB as it is sometimes written would indicate a more rugged and longer life tube much the same way as the US designator "WA".

Regards,;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.